• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the importance of the minimum wage

ted video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2gO4DKVpa8
    have you defeated them?
    your demons

Couldn't agree more, the establishment and permanent improvement of minimum wage is as important as our national heath service. Providing people with an adequate standard of living for working hard is spot on; my main concern is that most people currently in power couldn't even tell you what it is.

Comment

I am concerned about how low our wages are in NZ. They need to be higher if we want people to encourage people to get off a benefit.
      You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Originally posted by drelly View Post
        I am concerned about how low our wages are in NZ. They need to be higher if we want people to encourage people to get off a benefit.

Population growth from migration sets a new annual record for the tenth month in a row
        "For the economy, those expected strong migration inflows are part of our forecast for robust levels of consumption and housing demand.

"But the increase in the working age population because of migration is also helping keep a lid on wage inflation," he said.

Comment

Originally posted by speights boy View Post
          Population growth from migration sets a new annual record for the tenth month in a row

http://www.interest.co.nz/property/7...enth-month-row
          Continuing those high levels of immigration are the only thing that will save us as the bubble of people retiring continues to grow. Bring in the refugees as well I say!

Comment

So, how do you propose we increase the wages of current workers then ?

Comment

Legislate & more taxes of course!!

Oh wait - that's lefty thinking.
              How about no minimum wage and a lot less taxes for B's to waste?
              The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Originally posted by speights boy View Post
                So, how do you propose we increase the wages of current workers then ?
                I'm not against raising the minimum wage. I'm not sure the usual capitalist arguments against it are as valid as they seem.

Comment

The Wellington Council is voting today as to whether to pay the contractors they use the living wage of $19.25 ph.

Comment

I don't know how people survive on the minimum wage let alone the dole.

Comment

So just passing legislation and raise the wage is the way to fix it?
                      How's that worked out so far?

Perhaps we could try less corporate welfare.
                      Simple tax law for all - rather than playing insiders/outsiders.
                      Get out of the way and let people/market get on with it.

Nah - just more of the same - works for me.
                      The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Originally posted by PC View Post
                        Perhaps we could try less corporate welfare.
                        Like putting a stop to being able to transfer personal debt onto an investment ?
                        Thereby being able to claim interest deductions on that extra debt.
                        Thereby effectively having the taxpayer subsidise PPOR debt.

I agree.
                        That would be a good start.

Comment

Fine - As long as it applies to all businesses.
                          Just means less subsidised rents - a more honest market.

How do you like that whole corporate transfer pricing shenanigans?
                          Perfectly legal of course.

Must figure out how to do that with property!
                          That and have a corporation based in Ireland.

Comment

Hey breaking down the long term immigration numbers so:

57822 net increase of which 46% are on student visas 26,598 so that's student accommodation aye - tiny apartments in downtown Auckland.

India = 20%, China = 14.5%, UK 7.7%, Phillippines 7.2% 6.1% Aus or NZ (who did not need visas).

Not that many returning Kiwis in that lot.

Only 20% on either work visas or residency visas.

It would be great to know where they end up - my guess more than 80% in Auckland and maybe Christchurch gets most of the rest?

cheers,

donna
                            Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Originally posted by PC View Post
                              Fine - As long as it applies to all businesses.
                              Just means less subsidised rents - a more honest market.
                              Of course it would apply to all businesses.

Excellent; another convert.

Comment

Working...
                              X