• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ivanp View Post
    Just curious: why did you exclude SmartVent? I prefer this brand for two main reasons:
    1) they are essentially Manrose/Simx, manufacturer of the most reliable fans;
    2) systems and individual parts are readily available from a number of resellers, so if I want to install myself or as a cash job via friendly handyman, I can always purchase the system reasonably cheap without paying extra margin to sales people, etc.
    It was in my top four...my only issue was they have their new tablet version is not cheap...and I read several comments from customers that they have issues with it (Their facebook)

And a mate of mine had one and said it was a bit noisy.

I think the advantage of going to a dedicated supplier is, if something goes wrong you know who to go and see...your not dealing with an electrician, who with the supplier, who deals with the manufacturer. One point of contact and one would hope an expert.

My old Dad used to say "Boy, you'll never be disappointed owning something of quality" and so far it hasn't really put me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Macnz View Post
    It was in my top four...my only issue was they have their new tablet version is not cheap...and I read several comments from customers that they have issues with it (Their facebook)

You don't have to buy that one.
    I have installed one in a home I lived in.
    I have installed 2 in rentals and the next 2 builds will have them also.
    When I had one at home I never noticed a noise - maybe the motor was installed hard to a truss - they are supposed to hang.

Just make sure whatever you get the filter is close to the ceiling opening to replace it - pain in the A climbing around in the roof space every 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Lin View Post
    I'm ok with WOF for rentals, increased rent is always nice =)
    I think Wayne was more referring to crap getting past the filter and having your tenants breath it...I like - buy once and buy right. Ok you MIGHT pay a bit more for something awesome, rather than paying a little less for something that might be adequate.

Most good companies now warranty for 5-6 yrs which is good. That's my one turn off with hrv only 3yrs...that and their pushy salesman.

I think Wayne was more referring to crap getting past the filter and having your tenants breath it...I like - buy once and buy right. Ok you MIGHT pay a bit more for something awesome, rather than paying a little less for something that might be adequate.

Most good companies now warranty for 5-6 yrs which is good. That's my one turn off with hrv only 3yrs...that and their pushy salesman.
    Yeah from what I heard on Chinese forums, HRV is too aggressive with their sales calls.

I think Wayne was more referring to crap getting past the filter and having your tenants breath it...
    Yes I was - if I wouldn't have it then I wouldn't expect my tenant to either.
    Doesn't mean they get the best but it is never 'OK since it's for a tenant'!

We look at these as well. We went with sayr system. The person who came around was very nice and very knowledgeable. The sayr works really well went from wet windoms and moldy curtains too almost nothing.

Very happy with it and would recommend lots.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Yes I was - if I wouldn't have it then I wouldn't expect my tenant to either.
    Doesn't mean they get the best but it is never 'OK since it's for a tenant'!
    I couldn't agree more. The attitude of "ah they are only tenants" has got to stop. Happy tenants stay longer pay more and usually do less damage if not help make it better.

It was in my top four...my only issue was they have their new tablet version is not cheap...
    They sell both versions - with basic wall panel and with tablet. I have tablet version in my home, and wall panel in rentals.

Probably bad installation, I didn't notice it being noisy

I think the advantage of going to a dedicated supplier is, if something goes wrong you know who to go and see...your not dealing with an electrician, who with the supplier, who deals with the manufacturer. One point of contact and one would hope an expert.
    You have this "advantage" with Smartvent too - call them directly, and you'll deal only with them, i.e. quote from salesperson, than installation, than direct support from Smartvent - no difference to anyone else.

Having this as the only way to purchase the system is a clear disadvantage of other brands.

My old Dad used to say "Boy, you'll never be disappointed owning something of quality" and so far it hasn't really put me wrong.
    There's nothing about quality here - all of that's just pure speculation until you have several different systems, see them breaking after some years, and see repairs. Before that it's all just speculation.

I have Smartvent in my house and one of my rentals, one HRV in another rental (was installed by previous owners, I don't see much difference except for not being able to extend it with heat transfer or summer intake), and plan to install Smartvent in all other places eventually. My idea of Manrose/Simx/Smartvent fans being the best quality is also just my speculation - that's what I heard from others. And yes, I've purchased SmartVent because I believe it's the best in this class of systems
    Last edited by ivanp; 08-04-2015 at 08:38 PM.

OK just to throw another make into the mix one of my owners put in a Dry -Matic into his rental- had on going issues of dampness now a mere 6 months later no sign of any dampness and musty smell has gone completely from the house and yes the tenants did open windows.
    Give Lance Giles a call 027 2290 369 or email him [email protected] tell him I said to give him a call.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the feedback, which I appreciate, but as I said I have shorted listed the three products that I'm interested in, and am just interested in feedback (good and bad) from people that have those systems.

I'm sure other systems out there have their merits but usually that's price not performance i.e. dry-matic above...a friend got one of those put into his newly built house in Henderson and it didn't seem to do a damn thing...when he complained the refunded his money but never came to get it back and it's still there gathering dust. He is waiting to see what I get as he still has wet windows every winter.

But thank-you all for the suggestions anyway.

Thread Information