• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook

Default Terrorist activity and the value of your property

Hi All,

I was wondering if the latest terrorist activity would affect property values in the UK especially London?

I owned a place in West London for 7 years - (West Ealing - totally loved it there!).

Anyway I had heard property values were dropping and I wondered if any of our fellow UK members thought the latest terrorist attacks would further decline the values?

Cheers,

Donna :razz:
    PropertyTalk Blog - property articles

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Hi Donna,

I'm sure they will be!

regards,

Roger

P.S It is correct that posts from PT.co.nz can't be edited?

I'm sure its not a good time to buy around Warren St (where the first bus blast was and last tube blast was).

On the other side its a great time to buy out at East London where the site of the New Olympic Village will be (new transport links will transform this area as well)...thats the only place I would invest in in London

LK

What about the rest of the UK - are the prices holding up, or is the market drifting lower now.

How is the tenant/property ratio at the moment? Plenty of tenants or plenty of properties

cube
    DFTBA

Oh geez - someone shot 5 x by an undercover policeman in Stockwell Underground station.

Was at close range - so person is dead! Locals told to stay indoors.

Well, it's got to be a positive - that the police are not reacting to the terrorist actions any other way but 'attempt to kill and you will be killed'.

Donna
    PropertyTalk Blog - property articles

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

mmm a big oops by the police at stockwell, all very strange
    Kia kaha

I look at it this way.....either the police shoot to kill and do so ina way to stop a suspected suicide bomber of hitting the red button, or they act with caution and take a chance that it isn't a suicide bomber.

50/50 either way.

Very unfortunate for the young man who chose to run away from the cops in the current environment.

I doubt the police went out that day with the intention of killing an innocent man. Without being placed in exactly the same position, it would be impossible to say how one may have acted/reacted. It was said that the house that the deceased came from, just prior to being shot, was under surveillance. With the chase that followed and God knows what was being yelled at the time of take down (hes got a Bomb!), whether he struggled or reached into his jacket etc, there would have been very little time to react.

The eyewitness account of one gentleman says the now deceased was running scared, being chased by 3 armed plain clothed policemen before he tripped and fell to the floor.

Now why did the guy run?
    Was it because he did not understand that the people who pulled the guns were 'plain-clothed' policemen?
    Perhaps he thought the men wielding weapons were terrorists and his best option was to flee. Who knows?

Regardless, the politicians and police will be pi$$ed, family heartbroken, extremists laughing, and public I imagine worried that they not only have to look out for terrorists, but also misinformed police.

We can be grateful we live in NZ, somewhat removed (for now at least) from all this crap.

Regards,
    Marcus.

I totally agree Marcus. I count my blessings to live in NZ.

I don't think it will affect house prices too much directly, but I think it will have a stronger effect on the rental market as the transient population leaves earlier than they might have or doesn't come at all. That in turn may affect prices in time.

Most Londoners are quite blase about terrorism as they have lived through IRA problems. There is a strong attittude of "If your number's up, your number's up, you can't go living your life afraid, and if you do the terrorists have won."

Tourists and temporary migrants to London are a different story though. Even the US military were afraid to come to London in the week after the bombings!

Thread Information