Tradespeople and hours worked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tradespeople and hours worked

Just started noticing tradespeople working for say 5 hours but charging a full day as they say they couldn't do any other jobs with travel times, etc. What's people thoughts on this? Is it normal practice? You wouldn't want your lawyer doing it.

I would suggest that they either start the 5-hour job 3 hours into the day, or they take the remaining 3 hours to do other work that they CAN do. Cheeky bastards.

Comment

A lot of tradies would use the 'down time' to price other jobs or get the paperwork done.
      Not your problem and you shouldn't pay it - unless they quoted and it was included and you accepted.

Comment

Get them to mow the lawns and do some weeding for the other three hours. You pay for the time, may as well get the benefit of it.

www.3888444.co.nz
        Facebook Page

Comment

Seriously? Must apply that to my own business if that's the case! Yup if you are paying by the day that's 8 hours - if they work 5 hours that's 0.625 of a day
          Lis:

Helping NZ authors get their books published

Comment

Less the hour(s) spent yakking on their phones.
            The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

I thought it stupid the reasoning. I'm surprised I'm the only one who's come across it. They were for workers of the main owner of the business, said he had to pay staff the full day as couldn't do more work. Made absolutely no sense why it should be my concern. It was a by the hour job. At the start didn't know how long it would take.

yepp hate paying for their lunch breaks and yakking on phone too.

Comment

Whats the difference with student landlords charging for a 12 month lease when the students are only there 10 months.............as a tradesman i dont charge for hrs not worked and i usually dont charge for extra work (within reason) if its a priced job, I price 99% of my work as i would rather the customer know what the bill was going to be before the jobs done.........as for the yakking on their phones comment just remember that next time you call a tradesman he will be working on somebodys house, you will be holding him up from doing his job. Are you sure your paying for their lunch breaks? does somebody pay for your lunch break. If you resent tradesmen so much get off your lazy arse and do the job yourself

Comment

Don't resent them that much only ones who abuse trust. Do my fair share just don't do everything. All yakking and lunches should be within reason. Pretty simple.
                  Last edited by RHarris; 06-03-2015, 04:25 PM.

Comment

RHarris, ignore jimO, he's a bitter tradesman of some kind.

Like the others here, I reckon you're being ripped off. I'd pay for 5 hours of work, no more, no less. Not your fault they couldn't fill in the extra 3 hours.

Invite them to see you in the Disputes Tribunal. Where you can put your case, and win.
                    Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
                      RHarris, ignore jimO, he's a bitter tradesman of some kind.
                      not bitter at all.............so what do you say to student landlords charging for 12 months when the students are only there for 10 months, whats the difference

Comment

Cheers for the advise. Wasnt sure what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by RHarris View Post
                          Cheers for the advise. Wasnt sure what to do.
                          ask for a break down of the hrs on the job, i also agree that you shouldnt pay for the hrs not working

Comment

not bitter at all.............so what do you say to student landlords charging for 12 months when the students are only there for 10 months, whats the difference
                            Well that's quite different because the landlord is upfront about it. And the students can either say yes or no at the start.
                            Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
                              Well that's quite different because the landlord is upfront about it. And the students can either say yes or no at the start.
                              they dont have a choice because ALL the student rentals are 12 month lease...................easy way to avoid the overcharging is to get 3 quotes, take whichever one you want, cheapest not always best of course

Comment

Working...
                              X