Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retro Fit double glazing into timer windows - COSTS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retro Fit double glazing into timer windows - COSTS?

Hi Guys,

what are the rough costs per m2 to retro fit the double glazing windows glass into the old timber frame?

I was reading online $200-$500 but in reality I got quotes around $2500!

Thanks much

if you could recommend someone around Wellington, reliable, realistically priced, that would be super awesome!

Thanks heaps!

Originally posted by propertybuyingNZ View Post

I was reading online $200-$500 but in reality I got quotes around $2500!
    $2500 per m2... Really?

Almost be cheaper to remove the old wooden windows and replace with new double glazed aluminium units

Comment

yeah, actually that would be way cheaper.

issue is, its a character house, so I can not bastardize just replacing the nice windows with aluminum.
      hence I am looking for a solution where someone retro fit, and even taking my old glass (lead light panes) and put it inside a new double glass unit.

cheers

Comment

Its an amazingly expensive exercise anyway.

We did some aluminium framed windows at home and could only afford to get them done in two rooms.

Comment

A friend of mine has replaced all his windows with uPVC double glazing, his costs were about $1000 per window, installed. That's in Auckland, not a character house though.

I've just had two guys from different companies measuring my windows to give a quote for retrofitting double-glazed units into existing aluminium frames... Will see their quotes soon.

Comment

I'm glad it's not a character house. Anyone sticking plastic frames into those should be shot.

Comment

They are not plastic by the way - they are just covered with plastic.

Comment

Oh right, well that's ok then. *eyeroll*

Comment

By the way, I've got a quote for retrofitting double glazed units in my house into existing alu frames (all sashes and hardware to be replaced, so only frames will be reused).
                  The top option (includes low-e glass and argon) is $14K for the whole 2-storey house (scaffolding for access to 2nd storey is extra). Lounge and rooms with full-height windows and french doors cost about $2.5k-3k per room; windows of standard sizes are about $500-600 per window. Smaller windows (like toilet/bathrooms) are $350-$470 each. The house was built in 1985, so windows are probably not as large as in new houses...

I will probably do the proper job though and will install PVCu windows, properly fill the gaps around windows, plus will insulate walls at the same time (remove old gib, put greenstuf, install new gib)
                  Last edited by ivanp; 18-03-2015, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Thats no too bad.

It cost us 6K to do two sets of ranchsliders in the dining room and sunroom.

Comment

Apparently the 3m glazing kits work really well

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

They are cheap but they do seem to have a problem that opening windows are then un-usable.

Comment

which company is your quote from ivanp? Our quotes are similar to flyernzl's.

Comment

That's from Metro GlassTech - division or subsidiary of MetroGlass, one of the largest glass manufacturers i guess. Their quote is very detailed and clear, didn't see such professionally prepared quotes before. Cost for each window is provided separately with details like number of glass units and their sizes; 3 options for all costs: 1) basic double glazing unit, 2) low-e glass, and 3) low-e glass with argon inside double glazed unit.
                          Last edited by ivanp; 21-03-2015, 09:25 PM.

Comment

We have a quote from them, so far they have done 1/4 of our house, their aftersales service is a little bit slow. If you get them, make sure the smaller windows have heavy duty stays on them. Normally they only put them on the bigger windows, we have a problem with some of the smaller windows that when you open them, they open themselves right out, instead of only a little bit, if you know what I mean.

Comment

Working...
                            X