Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walt Glazer: Time to prick the housing bubble

Walt Glazer: Time to prick the housing bubble

"I predicted by the year 2000 Auckland will be one of the world's most prosperous and popular new breed of cities - 'suburban centres in the sun' - with more than a million people spread from Wellsford to Hamilton enjoying plenty of sunshine, fresh air and clean water. I was right"

Wow, he was a fortune teller!

"After two months living in Auckland, talking to people everywhere and following the local media, I have an overwhelming impression that you are living in a "bubble" of inflated housing prices and affluent lifestyles."

Wow, what an "in-depth" understanding of Auckland macro and micro economics and property market.

"Properties are abandoned, houses become run down, rates go unpaid followed by unemployment and crime. It has happened in American cities; it could happen here in Auckland"

Wow, Auckland has become USA.

"Auckland faces a choice about its future: the Unitary Plan. Should the city concentrate development of its core, with high density housing and public transportation, or allow expansion on the periphery, with better roads and services? Should Auckland plan to become the Hong Kong of the South Pacific (a high-density, polluted, unaffordable money-centre) or remain a Kiwi oasis of security for the future?"

Wow, he forgot Singapore, Sydney, Vancouver...many more high density cities.

Walt Glazer is a retired American urban historian, who lived in Auckland from 1975-85, has visited often since but now lives in cold, snowy Cleveland, Ohio

Wow, did he plan to retire in Auckland?

Wow a whole 2 months, he's a complete expert for sure.
    Americans have zero idea about NZ real estate, gets prize for 2015 most idiotic news item to date.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisgoh View Post
      Wow, he forgot Singapore, Sydney, Vancouver...many more high density cities.
      Small point, Auckland has a higher density than Vancouver and Sydney.

Comment

Originally posted by Damap View Post
        Wow a whole 2 months, he's a complete expert for sure.
        Americans have zero idea about NZ real estate, gets prize for 2015 most idiotic news item to date.
        His expert knowledge come about talking to people everywhere and following the local media for 2 months. Haha!!!

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo View Post
          Small point, Auckland has a higher density than Vancouver and Sydney.
          Fair enough elguapo. Although lesser density, Sydney and Vancouver property prices are still higher than Auckland (correct me if I am wrong). Meaning Auckland property price has more room to go.

Comment

Working...
          X