Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building deck over concrete patio

Hi there,

I have a small concrete patio and want to spruce it up. I think the best option would be to build a deck over the top of it. Is this feasible? What would be the best way to do this? Does the wood rot over time if it is in direct contact to the concrete?

Thanks

Originally posted by Timavegas View Post
    Hi there,

Does the wood rot over time if it is in direct contact to the concrete?

Thanks
    If it is done correctly the timber shouldn't rot. Does water pond on the patio?

Over time the timber will grey, possibly attract lichen, moss, mould etc. and possibly deteriorate worse than the existing concrete patio.

I personally would prefer a concrete patio to a wooden deck: If the concrete patio is sound, you could stain the concrete, or paint it, or get it overlaid with plaster, or overlay with exterior ceramic tiles... all sorts of options, preferable to a wooden deck. IMO.

Comment

Thanks for that. I think I'll look into options for staining or painting the patio.

Comment

i wouldnt paint a outside concrete patio

Comment

Originally posted by jimO View Post
          i wouldnt paint a outside concrete patio
          Why's that? Essentially I'm just looking to give the outside area a freshen up so just looking for the best option.

Comment

because the paint wont stay over time it will peel as there wont be a dampcourse under it so moisture will draw up from underneath, it will hold water if it hasnt got a constant fall on it and it will be slippery, if you add something to the paint to give it grip it will also hold the dirt, either tile it with a suitable porcelain tile or go over it with a wooden deck that you can also extend to make a bigger deck

Comment

Working...
            X