Should cyclists wear helmets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bob Kane View Post
    That doesn't seem to be a very compelling argument to make helmets compulsory - everyone should wear one because nobody has complained...
    I'm all for you and your friends to wear helmets.
    Why should I?
    You're right it wouldn't be very compelling if I'd suggested that but I didn't. You were saying that the law discourages people from cycling and I was explaining that you were wrong because no cyclist I knew was discouraged. Although there is a certain Darwinian appeal in letting people ride without helmets if they wish to.

Why should you? Let me ask you this... how many cycling accidents have you had? I've had a few and far more near misses. Once, I fell over sideways at a very slow speed at the traffic lights because my cleats were loose and I couldn't un-clip from my pedals. I went over sideways like a tree and hit the road. Without a helmet, I could have stuck the side of my head quite badly. I would rather wear a helmet that is effective some of the time than a neat hairstyle that is effective none of the time. Even a top of the range motorcycle helmet isn't going to save your skull every time. A cycle helmet has to be very light and well-ventilated. I'm sure that better helmets will come out in time and if I'm cycling then, I'll be buying one.

Originally posted by Bob Kane
    The medical experts indicate a flimsy helmet doesn't prevent brain injuries.
    How could it?
    I'm not sure the tribe has spoken.
    Why do you support a measure which doesn't have much logic or science to it?
    You are taking quotes out of context to suit your argument. The fact is that *nothing* can prevent brain injury all the time. Obviously even strapping a couple of cushions to your head would help sometimes, so wear a helmet! Claiming that a cycle helmet can't possibly prevent brain injury is ludicrous. You don't need a scientific study to figure out that there is a point at which some plastic and polystyrene will make a significant difference to your well-being the same as there is a level of impact where it won't make much difference at all!

Neurosurgeon says that cycle helmets save lives
    A helmet saved my life
    My son's helmet saved his life
    My cycling helmet saved my life
    Special report on cycling safety
    Last edited by drelly; 18-01-2015, 11:02 PM.
    You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

have you tried the airbag scarf

Swedish company Hövding has produced a new airbag helmet for cyclists. As this demonstration film shows, it looks like a scarf or a snood, then inflates if you fall off

costs more than most bikes

but at least someone's thinking of the children

hope they don't set the gas pressure too high

didn't work well with airbags for kids
      have you defeated them?
      your demons

Comment

Originally posted by eri View Post
        think how many surfers would be saved

if they had to wear lifejackets
        Probably not many surfers.
        Boogie boards are a different story.

Comment

What are your thoughts on No helmet riders can pay their own medical bills if they have an accident that injurers their head ?

With helmets absorbing the initial impact instead of your head, what is the big deal of wearing something
          as light as a feather - so light many forget they are even wearing one entering situations where a cycle
          helmet is definitely not warranted - like in a meeting

Comment

many women tell me

they won't ride a bike

if they have to wear a helmet

as it messes with their hair

go figure...

i wear helmets

as i feel i have to given the level of poor drivers on the roads

but it burns me

that i have to buy and wear the damn thing

mainly due to their inability to drive without knocking cyclists off their bikes

basically blaming the victims

pragmatic

but less than ideal
            have you defeated them?
            your demons

Comment

There's another issue here - what type of cyclist are we talking about?

Keen Cyclists - The people who are actually doing 40-50km/h on the flats and ride for training on the weekends. These people wear helmets anyway because they know they need them.
              Commuter Cyclists - Convenience, saving money, been dui'd or forced fitness. If they were pootling along on a dedicated cycleway at 15km/h, they probably aren't in great need of a helmet. However, most will be doing this through traffic, avoiding car doors, bad drivers and broken glass, are quite likely to have a low-speed crash at some point... and need a helmet.
              Road Kill - New cyclists to either of the above. Require full body armour and flashing lights.

Comment

Originally posted by drelly View Post
                There's another issue here - what type of cyclist are we talking about?
                I'm pleased you have widened your focus.
                I may be very different to you.
                Riding without a helmet may be appropriate for me.
                Why do so many posters on this thread think they know what's best for me?

Comment

I'm pleased you have widened your focus.
                  I may be very different to you.
                  Riding without a helmet may be appropriate for me.
                  If you're on a cycle track I don't think you are required to wear a helmet. If you're on a road you do.

Comment

"Cause no one loves you monkey boy"

Personally I couldn't give a flying feijoa what you do in your life, but at least
                    answer the question I put to you twice ?

Comment

Originally posted by iwik View Post
                      "Cause no one loves you monkey boy"

Personally I couldn't give a flying feijoa what you do in your life, but at least
                      answer the question I put to you twice ?
                      You mean this?
                      What are your thoughts on No helmet riders can pay their own medical bills if they have an accident that injurers their head ?
                      I have no problem with that.

So if you aren't bother by what I do then you would support me not being fined if I didn't wear a helmet?

Comment

So if you aren't bother by what I do then you would support me not being fined if I didn't wear a helmet?
                        No, because when you're brain damaged for life, have no job and can't support yourself we'll be paying for you anyway!

Comment

You mean this?

I have no problem with that.

All for user pays - given your answer you have my support.

Comment

Originally posted by drelly View Post
                            No, because when you're brain damaged for life, have no job and can't support yourself we'll be paying for you anyway!
                            (Good point drelly)

Bob - Plus pay for your own sickness benefit, ACC payout.

Comment

Originally posted by iwik View Post
                              (Good point drelly)

Bob - Plus pay for your own sickness benefit, ACC payout.
                              Yep - I'd pay my way if I had an accident and my head got hurt.
                              Now can we make helmets optional?

Comment

Yep - I'd pay my way if I had an accident and my head got hurt.
                                When this becomes the law of the land for all,

then
                                Now can we make helmets optional?
                                Will be considered.

Comment

Working...
                                X