No announcement yet.

Should cyclists wear helmets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It depends IMO. If a cyclist is riding on the road at 50km/h then by all means I believe they should wear a helmet. If someone wanted to ride a bike on the footpath to buy some fish and chips from up the road, then a helmet seems an unnecessary annoyance.

Comment

Originally posted by P.B View Post
      It depends IMO. If a cyclist is riding on the road at 50km/h then by all means I believe they should wear a helmet. If someone wanted to ride a bike on the footpath to buy some fish and chips from up the road, then a helmet seems an unnecessary annoyance.
      I don't think cyclists are meant to be on the pavement?
      You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Is the reason cyclists have to wear helmets to save the cyclist? Or is it to save others from having a dead, or half braindead friend/family member?
        Certainly not many can pick when they're about to be splattered by some rather inconsiderate other road user, but if you knew you were about to: would you pick the helmet option?

Comment

Originally posted by N-E-D View Post
          Is the reason cyclists have to wear helmets to save the cyclist? Or is it to save others from having a dead, or half braindead friend/family member?
          Certainly not many can pick when they're about to be splattered by some rather inconsiderate other road user, but if you knew you were about to: would you pick the helmet option?
          The problem with the current helmets is that they are too flimsy to be of any use.
          Don't make the mistake of thinking that 1 cm of polystryrene will save your life.
          It won't. And a few in the medical world confirm this.
          Cyclists should wear a serious helmet or just not bother.
          The current regulations simply annoy and discourage people from riding a bike.
          The law should be deleted/abolished/repealed.
          It's a case of nanny-state overstepping the mark.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kane View Post
            The problem with the current helmets is that they are too flimsy to be of any use.
            Don't make the mistake of thinking that 1 cm of polystryrene will save your life.
            It won't. And a few in the medical world confirm this.
            Cyclists should wear a serious helmet or just not bother.
            The current regulations simply annoy and discourage people from riding a bike.
            The law should be deleted/abolished/repealed.
            It's a case of nanny-state overstepping the mark.
            Are you a cyclist? Because I cycled competitively for a few years and never heard anyone complain about having to wear a helmet. It's a no-brainer.
            You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

No helmet riders can pay their own medical bills if they have an accident that injurers their head.

Comment

Best advice I ever got when buying a motorcycle helmet was "spend as much your head is worth to you".

Eventually spending around $1500 (in hindsight still not enough!) and having spent two months in hospital following a motorcycle accident, not having a head injury to deal with on top of other injuries was great.

I'd apply the same logic to cycle helmets if it were me, f=ma whether it's the car or the bike.
                Last edited by Simmo; 18-01-2015, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by drelly View Post
                  Are you a cyclist? Because I cycled competitively for a few years and never heard anyone complain about having to wear a helmet. It's a no-brainer.
                  That doesn't seem to be a very compelling argument to make helmets compulsory - everyone should wear one because nobody has complained...
                  I'm all for you and your friends to wear helmets.
                  Why should I?

Comment

Why should I?
                    Your choice.
                    Don't wear one...be a man of your convictions.

Comment

Originally posted by Simmo View Post
                      Best advice I ever got when buying a motorcycle helmet was "spend as much your head is worth to you".
                      I'd agree with you.
                      Let the individual choose.

Comment

Originally posted by speights boy View Post
                        Your choice.
                        Don't wear one...be a man of your convictions.
                        I'd rather not break the law.
                        Can we change the law?

Comment

Can we change the law?
                          The tribe has spoken....No.
                          Still it's your choice if you want to wear one or not.
                          If it is important to you then don't.....personally it doesn't concern me if you do or not.
                          It's up to you.

Comment

think how many surfers would be saved

if they had to wear lifejackets

A 54-year-old woman has drowned at a Northland beach after being caught in a rip while boogie boarding.
                            have you defeated them?
                            your demons

Comment

The medical experts indicate a flimsy helmet doesn't prevent brain injuries.
                              How could it?
                              I'm not sure the tribe has spoken.
                              Why do you support a measure which doesn't have much logic or science to it?

Comment

Originally posted by speights boy View Post
                                It's up to you.
                                If you really want it up to me then support changing the law.

Comment

Working...
                                X