• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook

Default Advice on buying house in Brisbane needed

hi,

Would really appreciate some advice on house buying in Brisbane. Have recently moved from NZ. Have a particular house in mind but worried about the fact that it has a "termite barrier" around it... some sources suggest this must be because it had a termite problem in the past. If anyone wants to share any knowledge of this stuff that would be awesome!

Cheers
    David

Well yes it is normal to install a barrier to prevent re infestation but that doesn't mean it's a problem. Get it inspected. IF they went to the trouble of installing a barrier they are highly likely to have dealt with the problem properly at the time.

Default thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Damap View Post
    Well yes it is normal to install a barrier to prevent re infestation but that doesn't mean it's a problem. Get it inspected. IF they went to the trouble of installing a barrier they are highly likely to have dealt with the problem properly at the time.
    thanks. Cheers!

You should have a pest extermination work done from some professionals over there.

It is a positive to have the termite barrier rather than a negative. Find out about how to check for termites in the future. A quick tip is to look for mud tracks up the concrete pad the house is on.

As above, get a pest inspection as part of the conditions. The don't only eat wood, although they whip through that pretty quickly! I have found termite trails up concrete and in grout.

Many Brisbane properties will have a termite barrier (it is the tropics after all). I agree with Tan, it is a positive. It means the owner has had a look and is making sure to keep the little critters at bay. Before buying it is always important to include a building and pest inspection in your contract conditions. I think a pest inspection will cost around $300-$500. But very worthwhile.
    I had a house up the street that kept falling over on pest inspection, they found about $70k worth of damage!!!
    Pay for the inspection - buyer beware.

Maybe by yourself, you could do a great inspection job and maybe you could be there when they inspected... But as what others say, it is positive that your property has termite barrier.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by EMcColl View Post
    You should have a pest extermination work done from some professionals over there.

I agree completely. I would also like to add that you speak with the previous owners, real estate agent, lawyers... Get real information about it form them.

Thread Information