Retaining wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retaining wall

We have a retaining wall between our properties. Neighbours section is sloping towards mine so we have retaining wall starting from 0.5m to 2 meters across the length of the section separating us. Ever since neighbour has built another dwelling on the rear of his section I noticed the retaining wall is buckling under the load of the extra earthworks to for a flat foundation.. The retaining wall was adequate for the front of his house as its only 0.5 m but goes up to 2 m where his new dwelling hence its starting to buckle/bend.

Have made an enquiry to council, they have advised I need to talk to neighbour.
    The fact is that the neighbour has not built an adequate strength retaining wall and have relied on our existing one.

Is the council responsible (signed off) or the owner or both owners have to share the costs.

Seems odd this wasn't part of the building consent.

Comment

The fact is that the neighbor has not built an adequate strength retaining wall and have relied on our existing one.
      mac is right this is a council issue if they allowed building work that was nort able to be supported or has caused a surcharge to the retaining wall that wasn't there before.

i assume this is not a cross lease neighbor? This could be serious as wall could fail completly.

make an official complaint to council

Comment

Working...
      X