• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bathroom leaks after Property Maintenance man project manage replacing the shower etc

We got to know this Mr X, ie, the Property Maintenance man through a main stream property managing company - through his quote to previous owner to replace little rotten floor boards and replace the leaking shower.

This IP in Auckland, has been bought as is basis,( allowed for minor repair ) and added to our rental portfolio, and Mr X who has been maintenance man for the company the house was managed has been involved ( after he convincing us that he is 'able', responsible and reasonable after doing some minor works he did for us with couple other properties).

When we got the quote for bathroom, from him , when asked who would involved with it he said, he got his team , builder Mr Y and others so and so to assist him and he would do the work tradesman like manner. when the tenant vacated the property , Mr X with his team, started replacing rotten floor boards and replaced shower and the vanity and very little vinlying the bathroom floor as well.

We didn't go in the path of having producer statements or checking his crew for their credibility but stupid enought 'trusted' him/his team and their workmanship.

After minor reno, we been through the house, it appeared all good, and paid his invoices off.

New tenants moved in and is managed by us privately.

Few weeks later they complained that the floor was soggy and we got some builders to have a look and quote, yet gave Mr X the opportunity to fix , with the findings of the other quotes , Mr X reiterated that "The shower is not leaking or does it need removing there was some floor rot ouside the area we repaired this was missed because there is hardboard over the floor and this spot was also on a joist so couldent be seen from under neath the floor. i have fixed this and all is good.

And further Mr X has texted me that he would stand by his work.

He is not a registered builder/carpenter, but a property maintenance man with a website who does do decking water blasting,house washing,decks and driveways. build,decks,fences,trellis,pergolas also do property maintenance big,small & odd jobs.

We received a call early this morning from our tenant that bathroom continues to leak , we been there and found ie; the entire wall where the shower rose is connected was with full of mould, shower wall board/shower lining was quite wobbly at the bottom, and there was approx 4 mm gap between shower liner and tray , shower liner was not properly installed, also shower lining haven't been glued properly to the gibs plus highly unlikely waterproofed & the wall other side of the wall of shower is damp too , shower rose leaks, and builder thinks water goes between liner and gib and wet the walls and the kitchen floor and to the the rooms etc It appears it's going to be lot more damage .

We went with a builder who had a look and await for his quote, we do not have any faith on Mr X any more and need this attended asap , and need your brains borrowed, is the Insurance the way to go? We are with anz bank. Tenant is with a new born and a toddler and how do we cope up with her family during repairs and any dos don'ts .

I've had a fair experience with problem showers ,they can be tricky at times. My shower liner had started to flex at the bottom allowing water to jump the gap. At one stage i was ready to pull the entire lining out and start again, but successfully managed to contain the leak by applying fresh silicon inside the shower where the liner meets the shower frame. It has held up for over a year now without leaking but i will still need to keep an eye on it.

Well it is beyond repair the builder said, needs replaced pulling the shower reinstating some wall/floor boards & need liners /new tray, costs 4-5 grand

Obviously Insurance doesn't cover 'poor workmanship', unless it is a internal burst pipe.

Also , the 'property maintenance company' involved is not in company registrar, I just checked online - though they have website and great references for minor fencing/waterblasting sort of works. Looks he never has dealt with replacing shower/floor boards as per the references ( which of course, I could have reserached/checked before entrusting the work). Well...I would have thought why would I , when his quote came to me ie, was introduced to me through a top notch mainstream property management company through the agent the house was managed then, and I trusted him/his workmanship, which turned to be a costly mess now.

Tenants have been instructed to dry the wet floor using old towels , but this needs address asap. Ongoing water damage would extend more damages to wooden floor and walls.

Any idea how to get the repair costs scooped/minimize the cost of water damage in this context ?

you get what you pay for

Quote Originally Posted by Anita View Post
    Well it is beyond repair the builder said, needs replaced pulling the shower reinstating some wall/floor boards & need liners /new tray, costs 4-5 grand

Obviously Insurance doesn't cover 'poor workmanship', unless it is a internal burst pipe.

Also , the 'property maintenance company' involved is not in company registrar, I just checked online - though they have website and great references for minor fencing/waterblasting sort of works. Looks he never has dealt with replacing shower/floor boards as per the references ( which of course, I could have reserached/checked before entrusting the work). Well...I would have thought why would I , when his quote came to me ie, was introduced to me through a top notch mainstream property management company through the agent the house was managed then, and I trusted him/his workmanship, which turned to be a costly mess now.

Tenants have been instructed to dry the wet floor using old towels , but this needs address asap. Ongoing water damage would extend more damages to wooden floor and walls.

Any idea how to get the repair costs scooped/minimize the cost of water damage in this context ?
    Even internal burst pipes the insurance companies will try & exclude if its a certain brand of Dux plastic pipe, which are installed in 1000's of homes throughtout NZ.

dux quest................

Me personally I would get a reputable builder in to repair the shower and surroundings. I would ask the builder to give me all the relevant producer statements etc (water proofing for start) and a written report about the workmanship done by the maintenance man. I would pay the bill and then I would make up one for the maintenance man. I would issue it to the said maintenance man and if he didn't pay it would make a claim against him in the small claims court. I would also post negative feedback about his services where ever I could. (Once I had conformation from the builder that he had indeed caused this).
    As far as your tenants are concerned they will be without a shower for about a week max so why not see if you can arrange the repair to be done if and when they go on holiday? Say if they were going away Labour weekend and you could get the builder there you could offer them a weeks free rent to stay away until it was fixed.
    They get a weeks free rent and a trouble free shower. The cost of the tenants inconvenience could be charged to the maintenance mans bill.
    Anyway that's how I would sort it. Hope that helps

As a footnote ..there are reputable guys out there who specialize in shower installation--Even my builder 40+ yrs experience uses one as showers can be finiky and these guys do it all the time and guarantee their work. Its their specialized field.
    When you get the repair done this should be considered--Builder-plumber -shower installer if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    As a footnote ..there are reputable guys out there who specialize in shower installation--Even my builder 40+ yrs experience uses one as showers can be finiky and these guys do it all the time and guarantee their work. Its their specialized field.
    When you get the repair done this should be considered--Builder-plumber -shower installer if possible.
    It's called passing the buck or sharing the load. Just like fixing a leaky house, as a builder if you think you know how to do it and give it a go and then it continues to leak, it then becomes your responsibility.
    With responsibility comes cost so be prepared to pay these tradies for their expertise, cheap is not always good.

Silly decision to get a maintenance man to do the job. Now it is going to cost big time. lesson learnt.
    Bite the bullet. Get a carpenter and plumber in asap and the tenant will just have to work around the disruption. It is important to stop the leak asap to minimise the ongoing damage.
    Last edited by Lovethiscountry; 06-10-2014 at 05:22 PM.

Thread Information