No announcement yet.

Buying house - what inspections needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying house - what inspections needed?

Hello,

i have looked at a house built in year 1990. I can't find any obvious problems however there might be some ( could be major). So i am wondering is pre-purchase and weathertightness inspection needed to carry out?

cheers

Yes.

Comment

You could also consider a meth test.

Ross
      Book a free chat here
      Ross Barnett - Property Accountant

Comment

Use a Building Surveyor to carry out your pre purchase inspection: http://www.buildingsurveyors.co.nz/v...Surveyor&title=

Its is well worth spend what is a small portion of the purchase price on someone Qualified, Experienced and Insured for these type of inspections. You are relying on this to save you the heartache and possible legal issues of buying a defective property.

Comment

Originally posted by Maccachic View Post
          Use a Building Surveyor to carry out your pre purchase inspection:

Its is well worth spend what is a small portion of the purchase price on someone Qualified, Experienced and Insured for these type of inspections. You are relying on this to save you the heartache and possible legal issues of buying a defective property.
          Pre-purchase inspection is including weathertightness test? or they are two separate inspections?

Comment

Originally posted by woo9 View Post
            Pre-purchase inspection is including weathertightness test? or they are two separate inspections?
            There isn't a weather tightness test.

A good Pre purchase report should pick up any defects in the property which may / may not lead to a water ingress issue (weather tightness). You can carry out a detailed investigation which involves removing cladding and taking samples but most vendors wouldn't allow this and its much more expensive than a prepurchase.

So a pre-purchase report is carried out which is a non destructive investigation (visual with the aid normally of a moisture meter) and it is for this reason that you need some very experienced to carry it as you are simply relying on this experience to highlight issues / possible issues, interpret moisture readings (and most importantly know the limitations to these tools).

Comment

There isn't a weather tightness test.

A good Pre purchase report should pick up any defects in the property which may / may not lead to a water ingress issue (weather tightness). You can carry out a detailed investigation which involves removing cladding and taking samples but most vendors wouldn't allow this and its much more expensive than a prepurchase.

So a pre-purchase report is carried out which is a non destructive investigation (visual with the aid normally of a moisture meter) and it is for this reason that you need some very experienced to carry it as you are simply relying on this experience to highlight issues / possible issues, interpret moisture readings (and most importantly know the limitations to these tools).
              Oh i see. How much the costs would be? I browsered that website and got the list of Weathertightness surveyors. But some noted pre-purchase and some noted Weathertightness. The names on that list should be all good for the pre-purchase report aye

Comment

Not all carry out Pre Purchase due to the liability issues - insurance cover is expensive and you cannot limit the scope of the report under the Fair Trading act, so are open to being pulled into a law suit even if the company didn't do anything wrong - the cost to defend themselves outweighs the cost of the initial report.

Best call the surveyor and ask what they charge as I don't know rates.

Comment

If you are based in Auckland, you might want to give Eden Pacific a call.

I've used them before. Their report is comprehensive, and helped me avoid an expensive disaster house, and let me know the maintenance items I needed to get onto for the houses that I did end up buying.

Eden Pacific NZ Ltd is the top building property Consultants in Auckland, offering a complete range of residential & commercial property.

Ph 413 8610

Comment

cheers for the info that will definitely help me

Comment

Our Potential Risk House may help you eliminate some houses from your list easily: http://www.prendos.co.nz/potential-risk-house
                      There are other resources which may also help you.

Comment

Originally posted by brendan View Post
                        If you are based in Auckland, you might want to give Eden Pacific a call.

I've used them before. Their report is comprehensive, and helped me avoid an expensive disaster house, and let me know the maintenance items I needed to get onto for the houses that I did end up buying.

Ph 413 8610
                        Is Eden Pacific registered under NZ institution of Building surveyors?

Comment

Originally posted by woo9 View Post
                          Is Eden Pacific registered under NZ institution of Building surveyors?
                          There website doesn't list who the people are or their qualifications so probably safe to assume they are not. Best to ask who will be carrying out the inspection for you (as opposed to the owner of the company who may not actually carry out the inspection) and what their qualifications and experience are and also what insurance cover they hold.

Comment

There website doesn't list who the people are or their qualifications so probably safe to assume they are not. Best to ask who will be carrying out the inspection for you (as opposed to the owner of the company who may not actually carry out the inspection) and what their qualifications and experience are and also what insurance cover they hold.
                            cheers for that. I just sent a email to them with those questions ~

Comment

Working...
                            X