No announcement yet.

4 People in Apartment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be that as it may artemis; isn't it preferable from a taxpayer's point of view to have these long term beneficiaries live in cheaper towns which have fewer housing issues than Auckland ?

Comment

• like huntly?

only a short drive from takanini
      have you defeated them?
      your demons

Comment

• Originally posted by speights boy View Post
        Be that as it may artemis; isn't it preferable from a taxpayer's point of view to have these long term beneficiaries live in cheaper towns which have fewer housing issues than Auckland ?
        Indeed, but the government is trying to reduce the number of long term beneficiaries by helping them into work. If they go to places where there is not much work then they are stuck on welfare. Which is not so great for them or their families; it is well understood that being in work has many positive effects on health and wellbeing, as well as hopefully breaking the inter-generational dependency cycle. Those benefits to the taxpayer would need to be weighed against cheaper housing, though to some extent it is apples and oranges as the timescales are different.

Comment

• Inter-generational ?
          Such as paying higher benefits to beneficiaries who have more babies ?

Comment

• Well these 4 people moved out of the apartment on Friday night and I went through it with the property manager yesterday morning.

Wasn't happy at all:

• Piece around 300mm square pushed in on one wall.
            • Lots of heavy marks to skirting boards, walls, etc.
            • Ceiling covered in fly poo, hasn't been cleaned at all.
            • Little chips, dents, marks etc. all over walls which were pristine 6 months ago.

So this one tenancy has caused more damage to this property than all the other tenants in all 3 apartments I have, in 3 years.

This was really because there were 4 people living in a 75 sqm area. The whole time the property manager was saying things to me like "Oh they're good people" and "I'm right there, I'll keep an eye on them" - his office is literally 10 metres away, same floor, same building.

So I told the property manager that I was very unhappy, that I had told him this would happen and he had assured me it wouldn't. I further told him (via email) that if this happens again, I'll be forced to get different property managers. He wasn't very happy about this at all.

So my instincts were right, I should never have allowed the 4 of them to stay in there.

Having said all this, the damage is way less than people like flyernzl would have sustained from a normal tenancy in one of his places. So maybe I'm being a bit fussy. I guess these things were so hard to build that I'm very protective of them.

Any comments would be appreciated, in the meantime, I'm going to head over to the 'Papakura Property Manager' thread just in case I need a new one
            Squadly dinky do!

Comment

• Its a hard world, residential rental property.

Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
              I guess these things were so hard to build that I'm very protective of them.
              The brutal reality is that no-one apart from yourself cares a damn about how hard they were to build.

All they know (think?) is that they are paying you good money and that gives them a licence to knock the place around.

Hope you've got your bond situation sorted. From what you say, the only claim you could sustain would be the hole in the wall.
              The rest sounds like wear-and-tear. As a TT Adjudicator said to me years ago "Thats the price you pay for being a Landlord".

Comment

• Originally posted by flyernzl View Post

The brutal reality is that no-one apart from yourself cares a damn about how hard they were to build.

All they know (think?) is that they are paying you good money and that gives them a licence to knock the place around.
                What nonsense to suggest "no one" else gives a damn.

I have always left places in at least the condition when I moved in, but usually better.

I have had a few landlords who clearly didn't give a damn. Including where I'm presently at. Owner came around a couple of months ago. I show him where the conduit feeding power to the neighboring shops aircon is falling apart and exposing mains cabling. I also show him where some plastic (poly carbonate?) sheets are breaking up allowing rain inside same shops.

Does he give a damn? Appears not.

Ditto for the flat I was at previously. As soon as I moved in I started tidying things up. But I need not have bothered. It proved to be an absolute mission to try to get fixes done. In the end I gave up. Still did a massive job to clean up all the mold before I left so the next tenant wouldn't realise what the place was like....

At the end of that the PM still had the audacity to try and deduct bond on account of a carpet cleaning scam. The carpets did not need cleaning and couldn't be done anyway as the place was too damp. I still tried my best and did a DIY job with some spray on stuff. PM does inspection, says the place is in good condition and nothing out of order, but the carpets are not damp. A debate ensues and PM backs down and refunds full bond, but only after I remind her of the RTA ie: the same legislation they waste no time in utilising for their own ends.
                Last edited by PTWhatAGreatForum; 14-12-2014, 11:29 AM.

Comment

• Bond refund

These people left on Dec 13th and I got charged around $500 for the repairs.

The PM is telling me the bond refund etc. should be through next week. So that would make around 10 weeks (with Christmas in the middle).

Is this a fair time-frame for this? Seems long to me but then never been through it before.
                  Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Working...
                  X