Dang!Didnt see that one coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dang!Didnt see that one coming

We have a rental with a working fireplace that most tenants have not used.
    At the start of this tenancy we said it could be used if it was chimney swept by them(as insurance requires)
    We put this in the T.Agreement.
    Now they are coming back and asking us to pay and seem to be backed by DBH (maintenance)(supersedes anything written on TA.)
    Learn something new every day--With future tenancies we now know we either have to cover the chimney sweep in the rent or make the fireplace not available.
    Last edited by skid; 12-06-2014, 12:19 PM.

I allowed the Tenant to get the chimney swept once and that was enough for me, they had some cheap guy that was up on my 2 story A frame roof with no harness or safely required gear, so i learnt to just get it done right and that means me sorting it out.
    Of course its covered in the rent, i mean i rent it for more because of the fireplace as it covers as a stove top and wetback system .

Comment

last chimney i got swept cost $45 whats the big deal, it is your chimney isnt it

Comment

Originally posted by jimO View Post
        last chimney i got swept cost $45 whats the big deal, it is your chimney isnt it
        Its his house too should he vacuum it?

The PM arranges it for us each year. I wouldn't trust tenants to actually do it.

Comment

We rented it out on the basis that IF they wanted to use the fireplace,then they need to get it swept--lesson learnt--guess we will have to recoup with a rent increase-unfortunately they spent alot more than the $45.
          I could do it myself ,but Im not sure about insurance requirements (invoice etc)

Almost all the other tenants were happy to use heaters instead of the fireplace--so do we charge the next tenants more rent even though they probably wont use it?
          Last edited by skid; 12-06-2014, 02:20 PM.

Comment

How do you it wasn't used in the past ?

Comment

Carbon samples--(just kidding) heaters in the room--no firewood--same decoration in the fireplace--(probably wouldnt stand up in court ,but it was good enough for me)

Comment

True.
                I think

could figure that one out.

Comment

Here's a thought though, re insurance.

If it was used, and because it was available for use, (ie: not boarded up), and there was a chimney fire....what would their view be ?

Comment

Landlord miserliness to another level

Comment

Originally posted by RHarris View Post
                      indeed....

Comment

I just pay for all mine to be swept annually $35 each. The houses are cold enough with no proper insulation without making an issue out of the fireplace. I reckon they already have to buy wood, firelighters and try to heat the rest of the house, or go without.

Comment

Originally posted by RHarris View Post
                          Easy there RH --this is coming on the end of some other things and there are a number of things included in the rent --water-lawns--Its just a heads up.
                          Before there was no need to factor it into the rent so now we need to take it in to consideration (its just one of those small things that maybe others have'nt considered.)
                          Frankly ,we would be better off if the fireplace was'nt getting used at all.

Seemed reasonable to us ,if they wanted to use the fireplace to get it the sweep.- but there you go--looks like I was wrong
                          Last edited by skid; 12-06-2014, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eljay1 View Post
                            I just pay for all mine to be swept annually $35 each. The houses are cold enough with no proper insulation without making an issue out of the fireplace. I reckon they already have to buy wood, firelighters and try to heat the rest of the house, or go without.
                            Point taken--Are you in the Auckland area? If so ,who do you use? this one came to almost $100

Comment

Sorry skid, that's South Canterbury price.

Comment

Working...
                              X