Tenant going o'seas 6 months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenant going o'seas 6 months

Is there anything I should be careful of or concerned about in this unusual situation?

My tenant is traveling overseas for 6 months on business. He is a great tenant and is keeping the tenancy. The property is in the top end of town in Taumarunui. He has arranged for a regular cleaner and lawns and neighbors (who they are friends with) to keep an eye on the property.

i am wondering about: security, insurance, mould ...

Yes re insurance.
    Your insurer will need to be notified it is unoccupied for that length of time.
    They may have conditions.

Comment

In a similar situation, insurance company did want to know how often someone would be in the house but also wanted mains power turned off and only turned on when someone was in the house, eg cleaner. They gave OK for 3 months initially, but were OK about extending it on request so that needed to be diaried so it wasn't missed. Seem to recall the excess was raised for the period (not sure about that). I was owner, not tenant. Might be different for tenants.

Comment

Do monthly inspections.

www.3888444.co.nz
        Facebook Page

Comment

Make sure he turns the water off.

Learnt that the had way.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRedDog View Post
            Make sure he turns the water off.

Learnt that the had way.
            i was involved in a job where the owners went away on holiday and put some water in the bath and left their pot plants in it, the tap dripped, filled the bath, flooded the bathroom and destroyed the downstairs ceiling

Comment

expensive pot plants

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone. That's great stuff I may not have thought of. I think the monthly inspections will cost me extra from the PM but I can see it will be worth it.

Advise insurance co and meet their requirements
                monthly inspections
                turn off power & water
                regular clearing of mail
                lawns done regularly

cheers everyone

Comment

Originally posted by artemis View Post
                  In a similar situation, insurance company did want to know how often someone would be in the house but also wanted mains power turned off
                  As a tenant, I would not be ok with this. It would mean that I would have to throw out any food in the freezer and not be able to leave security lights, voicemail or garden watering timers on.
                  My blog. From personal experience.
                  http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by sidinz View Post
                    As a tenant, I would not be ok with this.
                    even for six months.......I'd certainly want all the power off for that amount of time.

Comment

I think saving $50/mth in power would outweigh throwing out some food in the freezer.

Comment

I'd also get them to put the toilet seat lids down.

Why?

Because over 6 months the water in the S bend can dry up completely and you then get sewer smells coming straight into the property.

So at least if the lids are down, it minimises it a bit.
                        Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Good point about the potential smell. I'll get the PM to flush them on each monthly inspection.

Comment

Originally posted by Foglefar View Post
                            Good point about the potential smell. I'll get the PM to flush them on each monthly inspection.
                            In that case, make sure they remain to ensure the cistern shuts off.

Comment

and don't turn off the water if you do the flushing.

Comment

Working...
                              X