Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Residential PIs: Why would you vote National on 20 Sept 2014?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Residential PIs: Why would you vote National on 20 Sept 2014?

I have been pondering this question seriously for a while.

I must admit to struggling to identify EXACTLY what National has done for PIs over the last six years that can be really classified as beneficial to us.

Low interest rates? Nah- that was due to international response to financial crisis 2007/8. In fact National has done a number of things that have been hostile to PIs e.g. removal of depreciation on residential rentals because "residential properties do not depreciate" (said with a straight face!)

I know why I would NOT vote for Labour at present -- Higher General Taxes, CGT, property WoFs, Ring fencing of losses, potential changes to Trusts Act, xenophobic regulations that kill capital gains etc . On the other hand Labour always employ more people (not much regard for productivity), bolster first home buyer subsidies assiting in capital gains, increase accomodation subsidies, skew benefits towards those living "separately" and hence increase in number of sprasely occupied rentals etc.

If the response to this thread is significant, I will do a summary post once discussion begins to flag so people can get a quick summary.

Because voting for Labour, or the Greens is an act of the unhinged.

Comment

David Cunliffe as PM?
      Hmmmm

Why vote any way - doesn't seem to make any difference.
      The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

It's not nice to call 30-50% of your fellow citizenry unhinged, elguapo.

Comment

Originally posted by Leftette View Post
          It's not nice to call 30-50% of your fellow citizenry unhinged, elguapo.
          Technically it's about 20%.

Comment

Bob Jones has said property investors make more money from a Labour govt than a National one.
            I still wouldn't vote Labour.

Comment

I must admit I have voted Labour - occasionally - in the past.

Comment

Property investing is not my main source of income at this stage. Therefore, I will vote for the party which supports my main source of income and myself to the greater degree. If that be National, Labor, Greens or even Tim Dot-Com I care very little. Total swing voter here.

www.3888444.co.nz
                Facebook Page

Comment

From a selfish perspective as a PI I'd vote Nats because they are most likely to keep the status quo / keep things favourable for me whereas Labour's plans will be worse for my back pocket and they seem outright xenophobic and from a bygone age. In reality I'm not that selfish and couldn't bring myself to vote for a party that is happy to see the divide between rich and poor grow wider by the day and sell off assets for short term gain.
                  “Our favorite holding period is forever.”

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo View Post
                    That got a chuckle out of me!

Comment

I try and think what's best for the country. Borrowing money overseas or whipping it off the rich and distributing it to the poor never builds a stronger country. It creates a dependency mentality and eventually the rich just get feed up and leave or move there operations offshore. Or they stop being entrepreneurial and creating jobs and employment opportunities. The Govt getting bigger and bigger doesn’t work. How does that work? They don't do anything, they're not producing anything, they just create more and more taxes to pay for themselves. How does that build an outstanding country? Minimilistic government, minimal intervention, stop telling us what we can and can't do and just let us get on with it.

What do I know though, failed miserably at school.
                      Probably go with Brendan Horans Independent Coalition

Comment

Minimilistic government, minimal intervention, stop telling us what we can and can't do and just let us get on with it.
                        So you're voting ACT then? This is their line of thinking. But they get called "Extreme right" etc.
                        Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
                          So you're voting ACT then? This is their line of thinking. But they get called "Extreme right" etc.
                          I did get excited when ACT first formed but I think they lost their way and centred themselves too much over time. Although I am finding Jamie Whyte interesting at the moment. I do lean towards some aspects of libertarianism.

Comment

Why dont we get the choice of a party dedicated to deregulating (councils)and down sizing (super cities)? and moving away from the mistakes they make in the states instead of closer (PTT) Conflict of interest is alive and well

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo View Post
                              Thank you for the detailed and well researched post

Comment

Working...
                              X