Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nelson City council and the green gunge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nelson City council and the green gunge.

My staff had a call yesterday from the Nelson city council. They reported that a new tenant had reported in a terrible green solution was coming out of a light switch and that we better do something about it or the property would be declared uninhabitable.
    I laughed but just ordered an electrician to go and fix the problem.
    Then in comes an email as below with names and identifying addresses removed.

Just to follow-up on our brief phone call, the tenant at the above flat phoned up as she was worried about a ”dark green sticky substance on some of her light switches”.
    Before I visited I looked up on the internet as to what the substance might be and got this information. There are other references available which you may also want to research yourselves.
    I visited the property this afternoon and saw the material which is on two light switches seemingly coming from the rear of the switch.
    I may have misled you by saying the material was oozing (an inference taken from the information both on-line and after inspection).
    I have advised the tenant that the material may have some toxicity (irritation) but that the indications were that it is produced by some wiring issues which should be referred to her landlord. She then gave me your contact details.
    My suggestion is that you engage an electrician to check and test the wiring and have the material removed and some report as to the condition of the wiring for its continued use (to avoid any implications with any future insurance claims).
    A copy of this email will be given to the tenant and also placed on the Council’s property file.
    Thank you in anticipation of your attention to this matter.
    Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any queries about the issue although I have to admit to being unknowledgeable about wiring issues.

Kindest regards

Environmental Health Officer

So I looked at the link he had some kindly included and sure enough it tells you what the problem is and that link actually clearly says there is no electrical problem nor is there any health risk.

So I wrote this sharp response.

I aghast at your lack of electrical engineering and English language understanding.
    The link you have so kindly included confirms what I and everyone else that needs to know understand already. You have needlessly alarmed my good tenant due to your incompetence.
    This is a very common problem with wiring of that age. Actually despite what the report says it can often cause the switches to fail due to the strange gunk that can get between the contacts. I find that the switches that fail are of about the same age and by that time the spring tension of the switch has usually failed also. So actually the switches are normally at the end of their useful life. The cure is simple. You just strip back the insulation and place some electrical sleaving over a short length of the wire. I have seen some enterprising attempts to fix the problem by using electrical tape. This just makes it worse because the sticky backing also starts to run making a worse mess.
    That link clearly says that there is no electrical hazard and the level of toxicity is minor. Obviously if anyone sucked and chewed a bit of copper wire then eventually the copper oxide might make you a little sick. But then lots of people put the same stuff on their tomatoes. Is the city council going to forbid the use of copper sprays in Nelson.
    I have arranged for my electrician to remedy the problem and hold the old lady’s hand.
    My suggestion is to not use goggle search for such matters. Ask a local expert.

Glenn

You did the right thing getting a sparkie to check it out and make the alteration though, just in case of this last bit:

This greening, which is a rare occurrence, can happen either
    after a long period of time for some cables, or if the cable has been
    severely overheated.

The 'severely overheated' could be a cause for alarm.

If I'm brutaly honest I think your reply is over the top and unnecessarily rude and smart-arsed. There's nothing in the original email that is untoward or unexpected to someone unfamiliar with the issue. Tenant notices problem. Council man investigates and makes suggestion to engage sparky. What's the big deal?

Comment

Originally posted by Leftette View Post
      What's the big deal?
      The 'big deal' is surely the wasted time for the council, they should have referred the tenant back to the Landlord without spending any time on something that is not their business; and secondly, they now have this on their file that will probably get reported to anyone who enquires(future purchasers ?) for decades to come; again wasting everyones time for something that is a total non-event.

Comment

But that's not the Council's fault. It's the tenants for (presumably) making that call to the wrong outfit, right? The Council probably has a duty of care and was required to investigate, especially if the tenant was flustered and freaking out that the house is possessed or something - green slime coming thru the sockets would freak anyone out who's just watched Amityville Horror.

Comment

And the point that it's on file - that's the flow-on effect. If they investigate something it has to be recorded. Paper trail, innit?

Comment

And that is why they need to be careful about what they actually investigate, particularly when they are wrong. Maybe Glenn should ask them to remove the file notes they have made ?

Comment

But they need to investigate to determine that. How can they tell otherwise? Duty of care, and all that. Comes down to how it was sold to them by the tenant in that initial phone call.

Comment

I mean, they'd be for the high jump if they decided it was pointless (over the phone) and didn't investigate, only for the lady to be possessed by the evil spirits taking over her light switches and sockets.

Comment

Well you guys here know that I often give terse responses.

But even I was surprised by Glenn's reply. The council person sounded really polite.

This was the only demand they made:
                  My suggestion is that you engage an electrician to check and test the wiring and have the material removed and some report as to the condition of the wiring for its continued use (to avoid any implications with any future insurance claims).
                  Which sounds entirely reasonable to me.

Normally when I'm dealing with the council they make much more unreasonable demands like "We will be issuing an abatement notice under the Resource Management Act..." meaning it can't be tenanted etc.

And they also normally use much more arrogant and self-aggrandising wording.

Maybe a bad day for Glenn, he's usually very sensible.
                  Squadly dinky do!

Comment

I'm reasonable comfortable that some of Glenns tenants do have that problem; but is that an issue that the Council need to be investigating, getting wrong, and recording for history ?

Do people report criminals to the council and get their details recorded against the property file ?

If the council is wrong, there must be a way of removing it from the file ?

Comment

Remiving it from the file is a totally separate issue, Nice. I agree, it would be great to be able to expunge it from the file, but up to that point, everything has been done above board. I'm glad I'm not the only one to think Glenn's reply was a bit too terse. And I don't defend Council very often.

Comment

Originally posted by Nice View Post
                        I'm reasonable comfortable that some of Glenns tenants do have that problem; but is that an issue that the Council need to be investigating, getting wrong, and recording for history ?

Do people report criminals to the council and get their details recorded against the property file ?

If the council is wrong, there must be a way of removing it from the file ?
                        Oh I agree the council stick their noses into far too many areas. I would have said this 50 times at least in other threads.

But tricky when the tenant calls them first...
                        Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Well..I think the council fell well short in not sending a priest to perform an exorcism along with the sparky

Comment

Is the tenant a Linda Blair lookalike?

Comment

Well perhaps I must write an article at some stage re how to get some people off your back. There is a place for being sharp and rude to people.
                              The same official a few years ago issued an abatement notice re mold. Sure there was mold on one wall. I chopped the little bush down that was shading the wall and stopping it drying out, diverted the down pipe discharge from where it had been for the last 50 years, and fixed a leaking out door tap I had not seen behind a shrub. I did not go into the flat and carry out any internal cleaning. That same tenant was at the time of his complaint to the council seriously behind with his rent. After doing the various things (summer time) it transpired that the tenant breached his conditional termination order and was evicted. The council contacted me rather angrily suggesting that the eviction was linked to the mold and made various further suggestions! That was as I say several years ago and despite the property being generally in poor condition the mold has never returned.

No the problem with the council official and dare I suggest Leftette is I doubt either has carried out any electrical repair work and experienced the green. The problem was a bit of green on the light switch. Light circuits usually have 1mm conductors and carry very low loads. There is no way that the problem was caused by excessive loads. A lot of properties of the same age have the very same problem. We all know that copper oxide is only slightly toxic. That is why people put it on their tomatoes to stop mold and then later on eat them. The issue I take is to call and warn us that they are about issue an un-inhabitable house warning and then retract it with a letter but make the nasty comment that whilst they do not understand electrical things they are going to put a letter on my clients building file without even telling the owner. I am after all only a contractor and have little control over this recently purchased property. The current tenant has only been there a couple of weeks and is the first one since the property was purchased. Anyone reading that notice who is as ignorant as the council, are just as likely to want to pay $5000 less for the property. They might even ask the nice ladies behind the counter and those ladies are likely to say. How horrible I would not want green muck on my light switch either. That sounds like a $5000 house rewiring job. Of course the letter will not have the link on it to the goggle site saying there is no trouble.
                              Now I might add that I had reason to visit the ladies at the service counter yesterday to pay for a building consent and pick up the plans. I must say I was really impressed with how quickly and pleasantly they served me.
                              I might add also I am separately dealing with different council officials at the moment about somewhat technical electrical equipment and I could not hope for a more reasonable approach despite the delays on my side with contractors who are not performing.

Comment

Working...
                              X