Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it legally ok to ask for more rent from tenants with a pet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it legally ok to ask for more rent from tenants with a pet?

Hi PT

Is it legally ok to ask for more rent from prospective tenants with a pet?

I am wondering if its legal for me to advertise on TM at a price that reflects the area and type of house... and then say that I will consider renting to the right person with a pet at a slightly higher price (say 10% max) above the advertised price.

If you have some knowledge in this area please share it with me!

Thanks a lot,
    Happi :-)

You can ask what you like in rent. Yes.

www.3888444.co.nz
    Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by Keys View Post
      You can ask what you like in rent. Yes.
      Thanks Keys! Really appreciate your generosity in sharing your professional knowledge so freely.

I guess I feel a little unsure about asking for a two tiered rent... one for humans and the other for humans with pets! There must be some ethical niggle/dilemma for me... even though I am glad to find out that there is no legal issue here :-)

Comment

Just advertise it as suitable for pets at the higher rate. If you get no pet people applying then you're better off.

www.3888444.co.nz
        Facebook Page

Comment

Just make sure that you require no more than 4 weeks bond, either way.

Comment

I'd still be inclined to caveat the ad by saying "one small pet" rather than "pets".

Comment

"Well it is only a small elephant . . ."

Comment

Which is fine, provided it's looked after by a family of midgets.

Comment

Simply ..yes a LL or PM can consider a pet and choose to set a price accordingly.

You can ask what you like in rent is the short answer but there are times when some increases can be moderated by TT .... See RTAct 1986 s25 .... This basically deals with rents set substantially above market rent.

While it is true to say any rent may be set it must be able to attract and hold tenants and, as above, should not really be outside market rent by any substantial amount.

Comment

Tenants with pets are desperate for properties that allow pets and won't balk at a tiered system. They might balk at the actual rent but not at the system.
                    Charging enough rent?
                    NZ Scams to Avoid
                    Add a sleepout to your rental property

Comment

I would advertise "pets negotiable' once you hold viewings etc you can discuss further with prospective tenants. If a tenant sees pets negotiable they're likely to view.

Comment

Working...
                      X