Removing lino and sanding hardwood floors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing lino and sanding hardwood floors

Has anyone had any success removing lino from hardwood floors with damaging the timber? Also, is hiring a floor sander and doing it myself a realistic option or am I better off just paying a pro? I imagine it's the sort of job that would be very noticeable if not done well. Cheers!

Your right--Its best left to a pro as its easy to get uneven ''waves'' if your not used to doing it.
    If the glue from lino is still on the floor,they will most likely have to sand using Kero to keep the sand paper from clogging

Comment

Hi,

Definitely recommend a pro. We had the same thing with our house, nice Matai flooring underneath lino in dining room. Me being typically have a go kiwi though I could do it. Tried using a lpg flame and heating the glue till the lino came away but didn't work that well. hen used a wide chisel from Hirepool, was good at chipping of the lino but left large gouges in spots. Looked bad, took 8 hours straight to do.

Got a couple of old fellas from Waiuku to come and sand the floor, and they were great, quick and cheap and they said I should have called them and they could have got the lino off no worries. Doh.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll get a couple of quotes from the pros +/- lino removal and make the call based on that.

Comment

I recently got the flooring installed from the flooring experts and highly recommend them, as they provide with the best quality flooring and services. To grab the deal visit icustomfloor.com

Comment

Ive done multiple rooms myself after working the costs out and what was actually involved. Ive only done bathroom, toilets and wetrooms so only small in size.
            I use a Heat pump or Heat gun which i use in I.T work, it heats the glue to around 400-500 degrees(no open flame), pretty much a gummy mess that can be just paint scraped off the wood, Ive done around 40-50 square meters like this and it takes a little hardwork but its much easier then sanding thru it and you leave no damage to the wood, unless your really bad with a paint scraper.
            But then ive come from a Back ground where ive watched and been around people doing it and have access to people to ask the hard questions.
            Last edited by Glizzle; 17-05-2014, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X