• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Results 1 to 1 of 1
  1. #1

    Default Let's Talk Property Insurance: What An Owner Needs, Wants, and Should Have

    Donít unnecessarily expose yourself.
    When youíre renting out property, risks are a part of the game. Insuring yourself against the most common and most dangerous risks should be a standard operating procedure. Unfortunately, many landlords donít know whatís out there, much less what they need. Thatís why weíve compiled a shortlist of insurance that we think every rental property owner should have.

    Dwelling Insurance
    Dwelling insurance is the Ďstandardí policy for a property owner. It covers two very important things: your physical assets, and your liability as owner.

    The physical assets covered include the main building, secondary buildings, and major personal assets like appliances. The main building coverage is often expressed in a dollar amount per square foot. For example, if youíre covered for $50/sq. ft. and 2,400 of your homeís square feet go up in flames, you can expect a check for $120,000 from the insurance company ó even if the home costs twice that to rebuild. Secondary structures and assets are generally evaluated when the policy is created and each is assigned a dollar value. If that structure or asset is destroyed, youíll get the agreed-upon amount.

    The liability coverage is at least as important as the asset coverage. If thereís a lawsuit related to your property ó which can happen under an unbelievable variety of circumstances ó the liability coverage provides a lawyer to fight the case. If the lawyer wins, his fees are paid by the coverage. If he loses, his fees are still paid by the coverage, and then the remainder of the coverage amount goes to pay off the damages.

    Personal Umbrella Policies (PUP)
    A Personal Umbrella Policy provides extended liability protection. Itís a high-end policy, offering coverage in million-dollar increments for around $500/year. While an owner of a single rental property is probably OK with just his Dwelling Insurance, your vulnerability multiplies with each property you own. If you have more than three properties and you donít have a PUP, youíre vulnerable in a big way.

    Disaster Policies
    Your dwelling policy covers a lot of ground ó from riots to airplane crashes to broken water mains ó but there are some things that are almost never present in dwelling policies. These are covered by separate Ďdisaster policies,í and include:

    • Earthquake damage
    • Hurricane/Tornado damage
    • Wildfire damage
    • Hailstorm damage
    • and, in some states, Mudslide damage.
    • If you live in an area prone to any of these disasters, youíll want the appropriate kind of coverage.

    Renterís Insurance
    Technically, you canít force your tenant to take out renterís insurance, but you should make it a priority to encourage them. Thatís because, in the event of a lawsuit, any monies are taken out of the renterís policy first, before the ownerís is touched. For even more protection, try to get your tenants to name you on their policy as an ďadditionally insured.Ē This way their policy may actually cover you!

    Tenant Liability Insurance
    Tenant Liability policies insure you against the tenant in many ways. If the tenant lets their renterís insurance lapse, or they didnít get a high enough coverage amount, it can kick in to help them. It protects you against frivolous lawsuits filed by tenants (and often pays for itself with that aspect alone.) It protects you against lawsuits for property damages that your tenants may inflict on your neighbors. It will even pay your other policyís deductibles if your tenant does something stupid and damages your property. All told, itís a no-brainer.

    Be sure to review your insurance policies in detail with your agent and ask a lot of questions. If they dismiss your questions or donít seem inclined to assist you, get a new agent! This is a big deal and you need professionals you can trust as opposed to those who just see you as a dollar sign.

    Thereís no excuse for leaving yourself vulnerable when almost anything you could ask for has an insurance policy that covers it. Yes, it can get expensive, but your other option is the profound risk of a sudden and unpleasant bankruptcy.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Property Talk Display
    By Davo36 in forum Ask Us a Question about the Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 24-04-2017, 08:45 PM
  2. Thank goodness for Property Talk
    By freeloader in forum Property Investment (Oz)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-02-2013, 08:33 AM
  3. Why I love Property Talk
    By [email protected] in forum General (NZ)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 28-01-2010, 09:35 PM
  4. home owner insurance are investments for home owners
    By Ainsley Kac in forum Other Investments
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-10-2007, 01:14 AM
  5. Yawn. Where's all the talk about property gone?
    By Gerrard in forum About PropertyTalk.com
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 09-07-2007, 10:05 PM
  6. New to Property Talk
    By ChrisAshenden in forum Property Investment (NZ)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 23-05-2005, 09:26 PM
  7. Carterton for the future
    By muppet in forum Property Investment (NZ)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-11-2003, 09:42 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts