• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Leaking concrete deck

I have a 2brm downstairs unit, and am having problems with water getting in. My unit is concrete block, and the upstairs is brick one side and concrete block the other. I think water is getting through the concrete deck of the unit above me and it is coming out in the upper window jam/lintel. The floor and deck of the upstairs unit is constructed of something called vibradeck, was used in the 60s & 70s. I think the water might be getting in where this deck meets the upstairs unit.

Has anyone had any experience with leaks in these units?

Best call a professional could be an easy fix or may be more complicated: http://www.buildingsurveyors.co.nz/panel/membersnear

Once you have figured out the cause and solution, who is going to pay ? Do you have a Body Corporate ? Do you know the owner of the unit above you ?

Is it a tiled deck? It is a cantilevered deck? Some of the Vibra-decking decks extend out from the ceiling of the unit, if so it's a cantilevered deck and probably doesn't have a membrane to begin with

Yes that is a good question Nice. I havent figured that one out yet. No body corp. I have met the owner. I was looking at fixing it with a good sealant, and if so, then I don't mind just paying for that. But if it needs a whole deck treatment installed by professionals, then I wouldn't be so happy to pay. I imagine that as his deck is causing damage to my unit, he would have to pay would that sound right? What happens if he disagrees?

Re AMR. It is not a tiled deck, just concrete. It has the vibradeck beams and blocks underneath covered by smooth concrete on top. Yes cantilevered. It appears to extend from the ceiling/floor, but the beams run out from the wall for the deck, and run a different way inside the unit (not really relevant I guess). Not sure if it has a membrane or not. It has been painted/treated with a grey coating, but this is wearing off after 40 years. There also appears to be some bitumen like substance along the corner where the lounge is which could complicate things and be difficult to remove. (Anyone know a sealant that would stick to existing/old bitumen?) I would post a photo but not sure how as it asks for an internet link to insert an image.
    Last edited by Mr Stu; 10-01-2014 at 06:26 PM.

what you need to do is have a exbert look at it

I would start by discussing it with the owner of the upstairs unit, get general agreement to the issue before spending anything on experts.

I would guess that it doesn't have membrane and would be relying on surface coatings to keep the water out. The property file would have more details. It doesn't sound like a huge problem to fix.

The worst decking I saw had a dodgy membrane leak everywhere, rusting out the steel supports and handrails. This was on floor 13.

I had exactly the same problem a while back. A concrete patio that housed a bedroom below wasnt leak proof. Small fissures develop in the concrete and the water finds its way to the room below. The solution that worked for me was tiling over the concrete. This definitely stopped the leaks . I had a small leak develop again recently from one small area where the grouting was cracking where the main slab joined the house but have been able to run some white silicon compound just on that area of grouting which seems to have worked.

Mr sane person you are insane to stick tiles to any deck that is a roof. It may work for a while but when the problem occurs again (as it already has) what do you do? tile over again, The answer is a a good membrane but then a floating tile system so that the deck can be maintained,

but first you need to understand where the boundaries are as it is possible that the leak is at the neieghbours side and his responsibility his deck is causing you damage? (then he pays)

Thread Information