No announcement yet.

Basement conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The OP on this thread said "I guess I'm trying to find the fine line between "unconsented but ok" and "totally illegal and calling for trouble". Therefore one can conclude that the poster knows there's a certain amount of dodgyness in his/her question. If that's the case, then insurance companies may agree. I'm not saying they will decline a claim, but they MIGHT. Or they might make the claimant jump thru endless hoops to get there. It's not for me to say what the legal difference is between tenants and flatmates, but you can be damned sure that the insurance companies will make a distinction if it suits their bottom line.

Comment

The issue is not whether they are flatmates or tenants. The issue is what an insurance company may deem them to be, if it's shown that they have a separate access, that they do not have run of the house and share bathrooms/kitchens etc.

Comment

in order to step up to the line in the sand we need to know where it is

ignorance about what is 'lawful and unlawful' (and often fudged by council actions) is at the root of uncertainty over this issue

I
        'm trying to find the fine line between "unconsented but ok" and "totally illegal and calling for trouble".
        so lets find out where the line is and dont be afraid to defend it?

we first need to understand the different rules that apply and dont be scared by issues of insurers and the like................they will make you jump through hoops regardless.

Comment

The issue is not whether they are flatmates or tenants. The issue is what an insurance company may deem them to be, if it's shown that they have a separate access, that they do not have run of the house and share bathrooms/kitchens etc.
          no the issue is that you need to understand the implications of the things you mention and whether you are creating a separate exclusive household.

All the things you mention may be associated with a seperate household arrangement but their existence doesnt make it so.

Why is a granny flat allowed even with seperate access non shared facilities and the like?

Comment

I think we agree. I just prefer not to be on the side of the fence that risks raising the insurance ire as I'm sure many in Chch are currently finding. I'd prefer not to be a test case in an court battle against insurance companies. You on the other hand sit on the other side of that fence and obviously feel that it's worth testing the boundaries. That's fine - comes back to risk that we're comfortable living with.

Comment

I dont want to test the boundaries but I want to know where they are?

L
              If insurance is the only point you can make then your good comment about 'full disclosure' covers this? If you tell them now they cant complain later. Chch is certainly an eye opener but as much for those naive enough to think insurers woukld be keen to part with their profits?

What other issues are left?

Comment

I hear what you're saying guys and I will try to follow the rules - BUT - as you know councils tend to turn simple 2 weeks 10k projects into 2 months 20k nightmares. My question is how far can I go without crossing the line.

For instance:
                - Can I replace the rumpus timber door with a aluminium of the same size? Like for like, just newer and looking nicer. Is that ok?
                - Can I replace the current (legal) laundry tub and rotten bench with a kitchen sink in a nice new kitchen bench, without even touching the plumbing. Sink for sink. Is that ok?
                - Can I put in a microwave? Can I build-in a cooktop? If not should I put in a portable electric bench-top double-cooker? Would that make a difference?

I won't touch any structural walls and will have all the electro work done by a sparky, I'm not that crazy to DIY it. Surely there must be a certain amount of work I can do to "self-containise" the room without involving the council or risking insurance problems. How much can I do?

Comment

Originally posted by Curious View Post

- Can I replace the rumpus timber door with a aluminium of the same size? Like for like, just newer and looking nicer. Is that ok?
                  - Can I replace the current (legal) laundry tub and rotten bench with a kitchen sink in a nice new kitchen bench, without even touching the plumbing. Sink for sink. Is that ok?
                  - Can I put in a microwave? Can I build-in a cooktop? If not should I put in a portable electric bench-top double-cooker? Would that make a difference?

Originally posted by Curious View Post
                  I won't touch any structural walls and will have all the electro work done by a sparky, I'm not that crazy to DIY it. Surely there must be a certain amount of work I can do to "self-containise" the room without involving the council or risking insurance problems. How much can I do?
                  You can't make it self contained without major work.

Your options are to make it a nice bedroom with ensuite and get someone to rent it as a flatshare, or to go the whole hog and make a fully self contained flat. Both with involve consent and both will cost you money.

Comment

if you go the whole hog you need fire and sound separation for building work compliance and parking and living courts for planning...minor residential dwelling

If just sharing then can be just building issues for the work you do but be warned planners jump on extra sinks as extra dish-washing facilities and you need to be prepared to defend against challenges that you are establishing a seperate household. Make sure occupancy/tenancy agreement states that sharing and caring are included.

Comment

Working...
                    X