Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenant wants to leave property to go back to his country for a few months

Hi Folks

I have a foreign student and his partner who started living in my property in September. He is a student at the local university and is repeating his first year, for which he attended a different university in a different part of the country.

I made all the necessary checks before admitting him as a tenant and everything was going fine until last week. He said that his previous university had not transferred the fees to his present university and the present university in unwilling to take him on, and his visa is going to be cancelled. He said they have agreed to take him on as a student from September 2014. As a result of this, he is now saying that he will be going back to his country (Saudi Arabia) but will be returning to the UK in summer next year. He also said he will leave some of his belonging in the property and that he has a cousin in the UK who will make sure I get the usual rent in full every month, until he returns in the summer next year.

I have never come across this situation and was wondering if any of you have? What things would I need to clarify with him before he and his partner leave the country?

Finally, I do have a short term 12 month tenancy agreement with him. Do you think it is just best to terminate the agreement and let the property out to someone else?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Just terminate the tenancy or if you prefer, ask for evidence of the situation... like a letter from the uni. I would get some extra time... say you'll terminate when you have a new tenant lined up.
    You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Originally posted by drelly View Post
      Just terminate the tenancy or if you prefer, ask for evidence of the situation... like a letter from the uni. I would get some extra time... say you'll terminate when you have a new tenant lined up.

Thanks for your reply.

If I get the evidence that the tenant is definitely coming back to the UK, do you think it is best to keep him as a tenant?

Comment

I would terminate the tenancy, if you can. If the tenant is overseas and the cousin doesn't pay up, you will be left chasing a ghost ... Plus if rent is being paid by someone the family may feel it is quite OK to move someone else in. Or multiple 'someone elses'. Sounds like potential for all sorts of trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by artemis View Post
          I would terminate the tenancy, if you can. If the tenant is overseas and the cousin doesn't pay up, you will be left chasing a ghost ... Plus if rent is being paid by someone the family may feel it is quite OK to move someone else in. Or multiple 'someone elses'. Sounds like potential for all sorts of trouble.
          Hi Folks

Many thanks for your replies, which I read and re-read!

The tenant is now saying he will pay me 2 months rent in advance before he goes and will transfer a month's rent into his account at the beginning of every month. He said he will give me the debit card associated with the account, so that I can with withdraw the money at the beginning of ever month. ~He is also prepared to leave some of the stuff in the property i.e.sofas, beds, TV.

Does this arrangement still seem dodgy to you folks?

Comment

Originally posted by geek84 View Post
            Hi Folks Many thanks for your replies, which I read and re-read! The tenant is now saying he will pay me 2 months rent in advance before he goes and will transfer a month's rent into his account at the beginning of every month. He said he will give me the debit card associated with the account, so that I can with withdraw the money at the beginning of ever month. ~He is also prepared to leave some of the stuff in the property i.e.sofas, beds, TV. Does this arrangement still seem dodgy to you folks?
            Promises, promises! Unless he is pretty well off, why would he enter into an arrangement like this? Cheaper to rent a storage unit and find something else before September next year. Still looks very risky to me. Risks being - can you deal with unauthorised tenants moving in, what will you do if the money isn't in the account as promised, can you evict or terminate tenancy and remove furniture etc (easily, cheaply) if there are problems, given the principal is overseas.

Too much downside to the arrangement IMHO.

Comment

He'll leave you possessions that are worth nothing, that will in fact cost you money to dispose of. And the debit card will have no money on it.

But there's probably no practical way of stopping him from going.
              Squadly dinky do!

Comment

I also say you should terminate the tenancy. That way you save yourself a great deal of potential headaches. There are just too many ifs. Better not risk it. There are plenty of students all around, you can always find a new one.

Comment

I had a similar experience when one of the tenants left the UK for a few months. But I was lucky because he paid all costs in advance. Have you tried to suggest something like this to your tenant?

Comment

I would strongly suggest that you get an estate agent to represent and/or vouch for this guy. Or at the very least, get the cousin to hshow his face so you know who you are dealing with. If you are feeling generous, why not see if you can find a short term renter for the period where he will be away and let him have the opportunity to re-rent when he gets back in town? Good luck, and remember to find an estate agent to help out!

Comment

Working...
                    X