• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

ENP, I learned about comercial property through becoming a commercial property agent. Did it for 4 years, learned all the ins and outs of leases etc. Learned what properties lease well, which ones that don't etc.

If you really wanted to learn about it, that would be the way to go.

But like residential investing, a lot of it is down to luck and timing. No one can really predict capital gains or rent increases.
    Squadly dinky do!

Quote Originally Posted by Davo36 View Post
    ENP, I learned about comercial property through becoming a commercial property agent. Did it for 4 years, learned all the ins and outs of leases etc. Learned what properties lease well, which ones that don't etc.

If you really wanted to learn about it, that would be the way to go.

But like residential investing, a lot of it is down to luck and timing. No one can really predict capital gains or rent increases.
    now that would be the way to go.
    The problem I have is two fold
    - I don't understand what tenants are looking for
    - I don't know what the going rate really is so how far to push the negotiation.
    I found out in the weekend a pretty run down property at the back of mine leases for more - an eye opener.

Residential is easy - lots of statistics and comparisons to know what the rent etc should be.
    Commercial is a totally differant ball game.
    Can be very interesting if you don't get stressed easily but try having no income from a property for 18mths - and your costs go up as you have to pay the outgoings like rates and insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Davo36 View Post
    Really! You have given me something to think about.
    I thought all the wonderful increases of rent and capital was as a result of my great skill.
    And I thought all the commercial tenancies that turned bad, vacancies and the low capital growth were caused by my bad luck.

Yes it is all like fishing. Sometimes you get great fish and next time at the same spot all I get is carpet sharks.
    If I gave up when the good fish were not biting I would never have a chance to enjoy myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Orkibi View Post
    There is a great book by empower education you can buy for around $30 which would teach you all the basics and more. Good read and its less then lunch and more then what you would learn in an hour chat with someone.
    I can vouch for this, I read it over the Christmas break. It was really good.

I love the idea of becoming a commercial agent for a while. I'd also be keen to invest in a group with someone who has done this before.

Quote Originally Posted by nick_pv View Post
    I love the idea of becoming a commercial agent for a while. I'd also be keen to invest in a group with someone who has done this before.
    hi Nick, Feel free to send me a private message with your contact details. I have purchased commercial property with a group before and I will look to do another one this year if the right property comes along.

Re - Commercial Real Estate Investors Guide

Recently read it, had some good advice. Disappointed in the second to last chapter
    Streetwise Commercial Tips - couple of really unhanded ideas to acquire a perceived
    advantage. I like to live my life by Gandhi's quote - If you want the world to change
    you must be the change.

tulips, yes, well business and Ghandi's way of living will probably never be the same thing.

I think living a decent life is more important than ripping off some old person (for instance) to make a bit more money.

But there are plenty around (and some on here) who will do anything for a buck. Illegal alterations, unconsented addition of bedrooms, all the various rent by the room schemes and so on.
    Squadly dinky do!

Good on ya Dave

As Buddha said - "Those that hate will never be free of hate"

Thread Information