• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Gary Lin et al - 2 bedrooms or 3?

Can I get thoughts from people with experience please. I have two bedroom house that is a rental. It's very nice. I could put in a small third bedroom by putting a wall up in what is effectively the dining area. This would mean no dining area and turn the kitchen into a galley kitchen.

I like space so I'm inclined to leave it as a two bedroom. How much more rent could I expect, if any, if it was a three bedroom? Do you think I'd get a lesser calibre tenant if there was a pokey bedroom and smaller galley kitchen?

Thanks.

Picture in your mind the person who prefers eating at the table with their partner & child. I assume if it's a galley kitchen then no breakfast bar is possible, right, so now picture the person who doesn't mind, or in fact prefers, eating off of one's knee in front of the tele. Now answer your own question. Who's the non-chav in those two pictures?

No dining area and galley-like kitchen for a potentially three bedder? By that description it comes across as an undesirable lack of communal living/moving space especially for what could be 4 -5 occupants. I have created another room by putting a wall in a what was an oversize lounge in a 2 bedroom house, also installing a door and (consented) window. That means it runs off the lounge though. I have found people use it as a spare room and/or study rather than a permanent bedroom, but it is an interchangeable space so the demographic of tenant is variable and there's potential for me to charge more than a standard 2 bedroom if I choose to.

Quote Originally Posted by Leftette View Post
    Picture in your mind the person who prefers eating at the table with their partner & child. I assume if it's a galley kitchen then no breakfast bar is possible, right, so now picture the person who doesn't mind, or in fact prefers, eating off of one's knee in front of the tele. Now answer your own question. Who's the non-chav in those two pictures?

I'm not sure what sort of person that makes me but I get your point.

It depends on a few things to consider:
    1) the finished product, ie how big the lounge will be, can the tenants eat off the couch or coffee table?
    2) where is the property? Normally immigrants and your average working class tenants tend to be more receptive to a converted property like this

Maybe speak to a property manager who is also an investor him/herself and see if what you planning to convert is rentable.

Quote Originally Posted by Debs View Post
    I have created another room by putting a wall in a what was an oversize lounge .
    Lounge isn't big enough.

As you say once it is 3 bedroom occupants jump up. One of the reasons I bought a two bedroom is because there's a lot less wear and tear than a 3 bedroom due to less occupants. My target tenant market is professional couples so yeah not sure why I'm considering this! I'm not doing anything (property-wise) at the moment so my mind is working away trying to come up with projects.

It's in west Auckland. What would the difference in rental be between 2 double bedrooms, large open plan kitchen/dining/lounge vs 2.5 bedrooms, galley kitchen/no dining. Would the rent even go up? It might be worth less?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Lin View Post
    It depends on a few things to consider:
    1) the finished product, ie how big the lounge will be, can the tenants eat off the couch or coffee table?
    2) where is the property? Normally immigrants and your average working class tenants tend to be more receptive to a converted property like this

Maybe speak to a property manager who is also an investor him/herself and see if what you planning to convert is rentable.
    1) Yes. Comfortable to have a couple of couches and largish coffee table, has a wood burner built into the wall and tv can be mounted on wall. Also french doors out to a deck so al fresco dining in summer. You could have a little bench eatery at the lounge end of the galley for 1..
    2) Good working class neighbourhood.

Will speak to a property manager but have good tenants in there now so no massive rush. I guess the question is what is more desirable to the greatest number of possible tenants - an extra small bedroom and smaller kitchen, no dining or the extra space but less walls?

non chav..........snigger

1) Yes. Comfortable to have a couple of couches and largish coffee table, has a wood burner built into the wall and tv can be mounted on wall. Also french doors out to a deck so al fresco dining in summer.
    \
    I saw a house once where the asian owners had converted the downstairs rumpus room into 3 bedrooms and they put an outside kitchen on the deck! And let the (originally 3 bedroom place) out to about 8 asian students.

Just put up a basic frame with clearlite for roof and walls. Couple of gas burners mounted into a plywood bench, hey presto! Outside cooking and dining! So lovely!

No need for all those large inside areas, windows etc. No need for permits or any of that pesky stuff. Just pack em in mate, think of the money you'll make! Wahoo!
    Squadly dinky do!

Interesting Davo but not my style. Call me crazy but as a landlord I consider I have a duty to provide accommodation at a certain standard. Besides, those gas burners sound like a fire waiting to happen!

Thread Information