Water in the extractor fan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water in the extractor fan?

A few years ago I had a solatube with fan installed in my bathroom. The two tubes (one for light, one for extracting moisture) are separate.

I've just recently noticed that when the fan is on, I can hear the sound of trickling water. So up into the ceiling cavity to check it out. No signs of a roof leak, no dampness anywhere and I even gave the ducting a shake in case any water had pooled in it. Nope.

The trickling sound is still there. Is it possible that there's water inside the (sealed) fan assembly? Could it be acting like some kind of water wheel, moving the water as it spins? As it is encased in black plastic, I can't see into the thing itself.

Has anyone else ever come across anything like this?
    My blog. From personal experience.
    http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Curious if you got a CoC on the installation?

Maybe worth calling the company that did it and ask them if they ever experienced anything like it?

J

Comment

The company (or at least one of their agents) installed it. I don't think that CoCs apply in these situations, do they?

Comment

I thought you need to get a COC if you make a hole in the roof greater than x mm - Think it was 250mm. It may be different for kitchen extractors though.

Comment

Originally posted by Janicz View Post
          I thought you need to get a COC if you make a hole in the roof greater than x mm - Think it was 250mm. It may be different for kitchen extractors though.
          Oh, ok. Well I think that in this case it's two holes, both of which are probably less than that. And it's in the bathroom. The only ventilation the bathroom has, actually.

Comment

I would imagine if there was water in the fan unit it would stop working, but if it did keep going, surely the water would get thrown out?

Are you just hearing things?
            Squadly dinky do!

Comment

condensation?

Comment

You sure it's not just a squeaky fan?
                You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Originally posted by drelly View Post
                  You sure it's not just a squeaky fan?
                  It's definitely a trickling sound. Like one of those little indoor rock fountain things.

I would imagine if there was water in the fan unit it would stop working, but if it did keep going, surely the water would get thrown out?
                  Yeah, I did think that eventually it would make something go 'poof', but it's just started. If water did get in there, no, it wouldn't just get thrown out because the whole thing is sealed.

I guess there's nothing for it but to see if there's an easy way to undo the assembly and have a look.

Comment

sealed? Surely it has an inlet (in the bathroom) and an outlet (in the roof)? What make is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                      sealed? Surely it has an inlet (in the bathroom) and an outlet (in the roof)? What make is it?
                      Solatube.

The ducting has an inlet and outlet, yes, but the fan assembly unit is encased in black plastic and screwed onto the ceiling joists. It's off to the side of the ducting, not integral.

Comment

Well I was right on pretty much all counts.

There was indeed water in the fan unit. I guess that condensation had just built up to the point that the pooled water reached the height of the fan, which did indeed have the same structure as a water wheel!

I think the situation was 'helped' by the fact that the assembly wasn't screwed on quite straight, with the larger 'half' sitting slightly lower than the other side allowing water to pool in it.

After letting the water drain, I ran the fan for an hour or so to help dry the unit out and made a mental note to run the thing for a bit longer after showering in future!

Comment

Ahh - condensation. You could throw some insulation over it (if you had some lying around) so that it doesn't condensate so quickly and the vapour will expel first. Or you could raise it up a bit so the water runs back into the room (it's not like it would be a torrent - more a few drips but they add up over a while to a puddle).

Comment

Originally posted by sidinz View Post
                            Well I was right on pretty much all counts.
                            Amazing! You'd think it would have blown up before it turned into a water mill!
                            You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Originally posted by drelly View Post
                              Amazing! You'd think it would have blown up before it turned into a water mill!
                              the actual electrics are sealed from the moisture.

Comment

Working...
                              X