• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Meehole View Post
    Maybe a lesson learned from Christchurch of those with high value properties in Fendalton and surrounding areas. A media blackout was enforced. Why? If the public knew how badly the area had been affected what would it do to the value of their homes? No better to keep quiet, get it fixed and offload, especially now that there is a shortage of houses and this has resulted in increased values of all properties.
    Hadn't heard that conspiracy theory. Care to post a source?

Quote Originally Posted by DazRaz View Post
    i will just go get my tinfoil hat

Many had the ties and they were able to hold the bricks onto the framing. Got photos somewhere of one house with the bricks shaken off and lots of broken ties.
    That would be good to see. We have photos of slabs with no reinforcing in them but Council inspected and signed off as having reinforcing at the time. Seems like you can save a few dollars if you remove the mesh after the inspector has gone and use it for your next job!

The double brick house next to where we were in Feb fell down before our eyes. The reason people weren't killed in double brick houses down here was that many were red stickered after September and people had moved out when they collapsed in Feb. You wouldn't catch me entering one let alone sleeping in one now (or any of the bars and restaurants down Blair St and Allen St or Cuba St in Wellington). You may not even be able to insure it anyway. Lots of double brick buildings down here were uninsurable before the earthquake. The problem is mortar that is pre 1940s was a different mix than modern mortar. It eventually dries into sand with a hard coating. Poke a hole in the outer crust and watch the sand pour out. Most will have been repointed with new mortar more recently so appear hard but behind that layer it is just a pile of bricks. LAJ

Hawkeye is right--dont touch it

Too many to name. See just how well it was kept under wraps!

What a load of crap! The reason there was not much fuss made in Merivale / Fendalton was that the residents knew that they would get absolutely zero sympathy. The east did it harder and no one cares when "rich" people have a few cracks, broken foundations and chimneys. Are you trying to say that over 5000 people got together and collectively kept silent?

I'm bordering on that area myself in a severely damaged TC3 home. I know the area well and the damage we had here. It was hardly secret. Heck, the Merivale mall was subject of a lot of the quake footage on TV. Remember the upstairs room with the mushroom display?

The property is single level and they can be made safe but the cost and effort may be prohibitive. You can install fibreglass mesh to the brick face which will provide lateral support. Expensive to do though and I would only do it on a historic building.

I would probably walk away from this one.

One would need more information to form a valid answer. It is very unlikely that anyone would tell you to "buy" or "not buy" that house, all that they can do is report on condition. As a construction professional myself, I would not give you such a straight answer because: 1) there are too many other variables that need to be determined - such as the foundations holding everything up, the presence of reinforcing and brick ties, type and layout of the structure etc. 2) even with the above, it isn't really possible to easily say "this structure will resist an earthquake of magnitude 'x' because a) you don't know the engineering from when the house was built (to that level of detail) and b) there are a few other contributing factors to consider. FWIW I have been under early 1900 villa's where they house piles (if you can even call them that) are tied to the bearers with nothing more than 2 pieces of wire...not even HT for that matter. If a big enough quake hits, most of our houses will shake, rattle and roll as it is. You want certainty, you have to design and build something specific.

Thread Information