Roof dispute with contractor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof dispute with contractor

Hi, I used Kowhai Guy to repair leaky roof at my rental property last Sep. The roof his very old, I do not have enough fund to get it re-roof so I just got the contractor to fix up what can be done to stop the leak. In the quotation I received from them, it stated "5 years workmanship guarantee", I was happy with it and went ahead with the job. Kowhai Guy repaired and tested the repaired area with hosing water up the roof and everything seems to be fine. (This was around summer time, not much rain).

2-3 months ago, my tenants found out that whenever there is heavy rain, the rain water will leak into the house from the right side of the old spot that it used to leak before. I contacted Kowhai Guy again last month after confirming with my tenants that the leak is still occurring. But I got told that this is a separate issue, then they quoted me another $3000-$4000 repair. After a few days of arguing over the phone with the owner and contractor, I was told that they are not going to do any further repair unless I am willing to change a whole new roof, which will cost at least $15,000. I think that I have got ripped off because the first repair($750) did not solve the issue for me and now I have to spend more to get it rectified.

I am not familiar with the Consumer Act, can you please tell me should I fight with Kowhai Guy until the leak being fixed completely? Or there is a place for me to complain the issue to get it rectified? Highly appreciate your help!

Regards, Clem

I'm not sure if there is a central body or organisation that roofers belong to (like Master Builders, Master Plumbers etc) but have a look on the Kowhai website and they may have some affiliation and you could try there.

From what you've said, the whole roof sounds like it does indeed need replacing. If it isnt leaking from the area that was replaced (you say it leaks to the right of the old leak) then i think they've done what they were contracted to, and this is simply another leak. You could patch up this new leak, only to find another leak occurs elsewhere.

Either way, i'd try another contractor (perhaps one that doesnt spend thousands on TV advertising), and get their opinion. A few new sheets of iron, or a new ridge capping may be all that is required.. for now..

Comment

how do you know its leaking in the same place, just because its showing up in the same place, you didnt want to pay to have it replaced so its a patch up job, why waste another roofers time just replace it and be done with it

Comment

From an extensive experience of roof leaks and patch jobs I'd say you were right out of luck.

Leaks in old roofs are near on impossible to locate, Fix, or guarantee.
        Your contractor has probably been in the roof and done what he can with what he can see which is what you have paid for.

Sorry

Comment

Even if you got this latest leak repaired, it's only a matter of time before another appears. Ultimately a new roof is the best option, make sure you get it installed correctly & get a guarantee. Best to use roofers who have been in the biz for a good while. A new roof will help you sleep at night when the rains beating down.

Comment

When you select your contractor check that they don't have any claims against them pending or resolved - loads of unsuitable companies out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Maccachic View Post
              When you select your contractor check that they don't have any claims against them pending or resolved - loads of unsuitable companies out there.
              Hi Maccahic,
              Where does one look to find out if there have been any disputes between the contractor and client/s?
              Thanks

Comment

Sorry Clem but I think you are wasting your time. You got a guarantee of workmanship and materials used not a guarantee that the roof would not leak. If you can show that the workmanship was faulty of the materials used were substandard then you might have a chance but otherwise ...

I have some sympathy with contractors who are asked to fix up something that is beyond fixing and then have to bear responsibility for any failing from then on. I have had enough dealings with an old roof to know the signs.. i.e when you get on the roof to fix a leak and cause two new ones then its time!

Comment

Originally posted by Maccachic View Post
                  Get it in writing from them.

Comment

patchwork or roof replacement

I’ve got some sympathy with you as a leaking roof can drive you nuts. It not only depends on the age of the roof, the wind when rains go horizontal, roof screws installed without rubber washer and all the “Silicon” solutions.

But at some stage when an aged roof started leaking, as people already suggested, only a replacement will fix your problems because the water penetrates rust, travels on roofing paper or the flip side of roofing sheets – no chance to find the real spot if not obvious. At the end you pay for patchwork to an iron roof (and water damage repair) similar to a new roof by having lots of unhappy people around.

Lucky you – you know what is to do. Think about all the leaking roofs where owners don’t have a clue until the damage is done.
                    Last edited by klauster; 11-06-2013, 04:25 PM.

Comment

From what you've said he explained it was a temporary repair only and that you clearly understood this and the price clearly reflects this.

You have no evidence that his limited workmanship has actually failed. He has not warranted the entire roof for 5 years, just the bit he repaired.

From what you have presented so far you have little leverage against the roofer so just let it go. Get a new roof with a new roofer.

Comment

Thanks guys for the feedback and comment! I know what to do now.

Comment

Working...
                        X