Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changes in ami insurances rental property policy re: landlords obligations

Hi,
    Received my yearly bill with a new rental property policy document book for policies renewed or issued after May, 2013 and was reading it and came across the changes in the landlord obligations, if you haven't read it I would recommend reading it, its different to last years, main ones being:
    They now require you to complete an internal and external inspection at a minimum of 3 monthly intervals was 6 monthly
    Monitor rents on a weekly basis with written notification being sent to the tenant whenever rent is 14 days in arrears, together with a personal visit etc.

Please elaborate on "together with a personal visit".

www.3888444.co.nz
    Facebook Page

Comment

Hi Keys,
      it states:
      v monitor rents on a weekly basis with written notification being sent to the tenant whenever rent is 14 days in arrears, together with a personal visit to determine if the tenant remains in residence, and
      vi apply to the tenancy tribunal for vacant possession, etc once the rent is 21 days in arrears

Comment

Hmmm. Interesting. Wait 14 days before you issue a 14 day letter.

Good that they are trying to get landlords to upskill.

Not sure if they realize how the system works. Appreciate that information.

Does it actually say the following?:

vi apply to the tenancy tribunal for vacant possession, etc once the rent is 21 days in arrears
        My emphasis.

www.3888444.co.nz
        Facebook Page

Comment

no, sorry I was taking a short cut.....
          vi apply to the Tenancy Tribunal for vacant possession in accordance with the provisions of the Residential Tenancies Act 1986 once the rent is 21 days in arrears.

Comment

Hmmm. Gives no discretion to the owner/landlord.

www.3888444.co.nz
            Facebook Page

Comment

On my Crombie's policies all of this ^^^ only applies if you take out additional Rent Protection (ie cover for the tenants not paying/doing a runner etc). Inspections 4 monthly is standard though.

When you look into the excess and all the extra T'C and C's that they can slip out of a claim on, I'd just hire a decent PM and self insure for the relatively small sums involved.

**don't confuse with Loss of Rent (ie natural disaster/uninhabitable) take out as much of that as your insurer will allow IMO***

Comment

Interesting. No discretion...
                Does it mention annual chimney sweeps as well? That comes up too.
                Rentex Limited Property Management - Est. 1988

Comment

Working...
                X