Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the definition of "reasonably clean and tidy"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Still Think They're Clueless

So saith the RTA:

40 Tenant's responsibilities

(1) The tenant shall—

(c) keep the premises reasonably clean and reasonably tidy; and

premises includes

(a) any part of any premises; and
    (b) any land and appurtenances.

Of course, none of that really applies to your dilemma.

But it raises a provocative point! How many LLs on PropertyTalk clean
    the outside windows in residential tenancies? (While the tenants keep
    the inside of the windows clean!)

Comment

I clean the windows once or twice a year (ideally twice) when I clean the exterior of the house. Other than that I wouldn't make a special trip - hell, my PPOR only gets twice a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post
        But it raises a provocative point! How many LLs on PropertyTalk clean
        the outside windows in residential tenancies? (While the tenants keep
        the inside of the windows clean!)
        As a tenant, I have always cleaned outside windows once or twice a year - who wants to live in a dirty house, it looks awful and costs more in lighting and heating! The only time I didn't was when I was living in a high rise apartment and couldn't get to a number of the windows (unopenable panels etc), but even then, the windows I could reach always got a spring clean. I'm not answering the poll, as I suspect it's geared towards LLs, hence posting the answer here.

Comment

Originally posted by waterbaby View Post
          As a tenant, I have always cleaned outside windows once or twice a year.
          I'm not answering the poll, as I suspect it's geared towards LLs, hence
          posting the answer here.
          I wonder how many LLs have been tenants? I have. The idea of demanding
          that the LL cleans the outside of the windows is ludicrous. Read on . . .

Originally posted by Scarmander View Post
          No, but three different staff members at the Department of Building & Housing
          confirmed the same thing - the outside of the windows are considered a grey
          area that is generally the landlord's responsibility unless agreed upon, as they
          are beyond the tenant's control. E.g., they get dirty because of the weather,
          not because of me! Therefore, they're considered to be fair wear and tear.
          On that basis would it be fair to say that the weather is beyond tenants'
          control? Accordingly, that makes the sky a grey area with clouds in it which
          cause rain that makes the grass grow, so the LL must mow the lawns?

Jeees - give me strength.
          Last edited by Perry; 06-06-2013, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Surely a line has to be drawn somewhere.......generally the exterior of any home gets dirty not just the windows.....do we expect tenants to wash the weatherboards as well. A lot of tenants would need ladders etc to clean the windows, and I dont know many renters who could easily access. I am on the fence over whether or not tenants should, but personally would not expect it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLibrary View Post
              Surely a line has to be drawn somewhere.......generally the exterior of any home gets dirty not just the windows.....do we expect tenants to wash the weatherboards as well. A lot of tenants would need ladders etc to clean the windows, and I dont know many renters who could easily access. I am on the fence over whether or not tenants should, but personally would not expect it.
              For me, washing weatherboards is a matter of home maintenance - if not done, the house can be permanently damaged because of it - therefore something the LL has a vested interest in doing, and doing right. Windows are only cosmetic (as far as I know) and much easier to clean, so where practical, it seems reasonable for a tenant to do so.

I agree it's a tricky one in terms of where the line sits, and I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to be polished sparkling every two weeks, but I'm a tenant who doesn't own any property and even I think a once a year spit and polish isn't unreasonable for me to do.

Comment

Originally posted by waterbaby View Post
                For me, washing weatherboards is a matter of home maintenance - if not done, the house can be permanently damaged because of it - therefore something the LL has a vested interest in doing, and doing right. Windows are only cosmetic (as far as I know) and much easier to clean, so where practical, it seems reasonable for a tenant to do so.

I agree it's a tricky one in terms of where the line sits, and I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to be polished sparkling every two weeks, but I'm a tenant who doesn't own any property and even I think a once a year spit and polish isn't unreasonable for me to do.
                So the LL should wash the weatherboards once a year so the LL might as well do the windows while they are at it.

As I said before I try to do them twice a year when I wash the house (and have voted that I wash the windows) but I wouldn't expect the tenant to do them. If they do then that is a few extra browny points to them. I had a tenant who cleaned out the gutter - lots of browny points for that one.

Based on the title of the thread I wouldn't expect the exterior of the windows to be cleaned and issue a notice for it. That would be an unreasonable expectation to me.

Comment

Working...
                X