Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Free Food in Schools programme. What do you think?Good or bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eri View Post
    suddenly i'm feeling very poor + deprived
    I guess there are some cynical ones out there who would not be happy until all the children of our less fortunate are sent out to work for their breakfast.

Fortunately, in this country we have far far more people who actually seem to care a bit.

Swimming in rubbish for $1.65

Horrific life of Philippines' poorest children: Swimming in rubbish for $1.65 a day

Last edited by speights boy; 05-07-2015, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by speights boy View Post
      What do we do about the ones who aren't doing so ? IE: The ones without breakfast at home.
      All schools can opt in to the Kickstart breakfast programme - money from the government, support from the community, weetbix from Sanitarium, milk from Fonterra. Any pupil can join in if their school belongs to the scheme.

If 'many' children who get a free breakfast previously ate at home I would want to know why they switched. My experience of kids is they would rather sleep in ...

Comment

Originally posted by artemis View Post
        If 'many' children who get a free breakfast previously ate at home I would want to know why they switched.
        Probably because their parents told them go and have the school breakfast.

My question remains.

What do we do about the ones who aren't doing so ?
        IE: The ones without breakfast at home.

Comment

Keep trying to do good.
          If there are some who game the system then so be it.

Comment

Originally posted by speights boy View Post
            Probably because their parents told them go and have the school breakfast.
            My question remains.
            Pupils can hook up with the Breakfast in Schools programme, whether they have breakfast available or not.

Not all schools have joined the programme, but it is available to all schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
              Keep trying to do good. If there are some who game the system then so be it.
              I don't disagree. But according to the above mentioned research the 'some' is actually 'many'.

However, weetbix and milk every school day is not a lot of fun, and I would say demand would drop off as students decide on Frosties or toast at home instead. I've seen stats somewhere on Fonterra's milk in schools scheme showing that it is common for demand to drop off sharply to the point where some schools are cancelling. Kids more used to a high sugar diet might not be keen on plain milk day after day. Sad but true.

Comment

Originally posted by artemis View Post
                I've seen stats somewhere on Fonterra's milk in schools scheme showing that it is common for demand to drop off sharply to the point where some schools are cancelling.
                That would indicate the kids are being feed elsewhere.
                Good.

However, where there remains demand the programme should continue.

Comment

Working...
                X