Tenant threaten to move out, and seeking compensation of ~$6000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenant threaten to move out, and seeking compensation of ~$6000

Today, my tenant threaten to move out, which means terminate fix term contract early.

The tenant also asked me to sign a letter to pay him move out fee about $6000, otherwise he will apply Tribunal hearing.

This is due to we wash our clothes using washing machine for 30 mins, and making some noise disturb his life. There were quite few similar things happened before.

Bad tenant make you crazy

Any advice, please?

It sounds like you live above your tenant maybe?

Using his washing machine, without permission, was a very poor decision on your part. In a tribunal hearing, that will look bad.
    However, that is not a legitimate reason for your tenant to blackmail.

Some more information is required.
    Premium Villa Holidays in Turkey

Comment

Originally posted by sysealion View Post
      This is due to we wash our clothes using washing machine for 30 mins, and making some noise disturb his life. There were quite few similar things happened before.
      Whose washing machine , what time of the day / night are you using it, why is is so noisy that they can easily hear . Can the washing machine be moved.

If you can , ask him for a copy of the letter he wants you to sign then say no. That way you'll have evidence of his behaviour is he does try anything at the Trib.

There is no way a Trib will allow the tenant to break a fixed tenancy over a noisy washing machine so id there more to the story, Why does he think you would be willing to pay $6000 to not go to the Tribunal?

Comment

$6000? Sounds a habitual rip-off artist to me. Counter sue this joker for $7000 compensation for breaking the contract. Call his bluff. Don't agree or sign anything until you see a lawyer.

Comment

Washing machine noise is common during day time and would not prove a hardship situation and $6000 for moving out fee on what grounds? Offer him your condition to end the contract (reimbursement for finding a new tenant, rent payments until a new tenant signed up, compensation for... you will know).
          Last edited by klauster; 19-04-2013, 11:02 AM.

Comment

It's my washing machine.

Comment

Originally posted by sysealion View Post
              It's my washing machine.
              It might be your washing machine, but if it is a part of their tenancy, then you must ask permission to use it !

Comment

Originally posted by sheree99 View Post
                Whose washing machine , what time of the day / night are you using it, why is is so noisy that they can easily hear . Can the washing machine be moved.

If you can , ask him for a copy of the letter he wants you to sign then say no. That way you'll have evidence of his behaviour is he does try anything at the Trib.

There is no way a Trib will allow the tenant to break a fixed tenancy over a noisy washing machine so id there more to the story, Why does he think you would be willing to pay $6000 to not go to the Tribunal?

I used my washing machine upstairs at 6pm for 30 mins. He lives downstairs, totally separate. There is another complain from him very early for Sunday 11am wasing machine noise. Disterbed his lazy Sunday sleep.

Comment

Is the downstairs flat legal, as far as the council is concerned?

Comment

Originally posted by Nice View Post
                    It might be your washing machine, but if it is a part of their tenancy, then you must ask permission to use it !
                    He got my the other washing machine downstairs. We are totally separate.

Do I need permission to use my own washing machine upstairs? I don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by speights boy View Post
                      Is the downstairs flat legal, as far as the council is concerned?
                      Yes, legal.

Comment

sounds unreasonable for the tenant to complain though there are always 2 sides to a story. I suspect that sound proofing is poor.

Comment

Thanks for your guys valuable advice. I'll seek legal advice from my lawyer.

Comment

syselion.....are you a recent immigrant to NZ. It sounds to me that your tenant is trying to con you out of a lot of money. Don't pay a cent. You don't need his permission to use your own washing machine in your own premises.

Comment

I tend to use the washing machine around 7am on Sunday. I suggest you do the same, then ask him which he prefers - 7am or 11am?

Comment

Working...
                              X