• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Question Tenant threaten to move out, and seeking compensation of ~$6000

Today, my tenant threaten to move out, which means terminate fix term contract early.

The tenant also asked me to sign a letter to pay him move out fee about $6000, otherwise he will apply Tribunal hearing.

This is due to we wash our clothes using washing machine for 30 mins, and making some noise disturb his life. There were quite few similar things happened before.

Bad tenant make you crazy

Any advice, please?

It sounds like you live above your tenant maybe?

Using his washing machine, without permission, was a very poor decision on your part. In a tribunal hearing, that will look bad.
    However, that is not a legitimate reason for your tenant to blackmail.

Some more information is required.

Quote Originally Posted by sysealion View Post
    This is due to we wash our clothes using washing machine for 30 mins, and making some noise disturb his life. There were quite few similar things happened before.
    Whose washing machine , what time of the day / night are you using it, why is is so noisy that they can easily hear . Can the washing machine be moved.

If you can , ask him for a copy of the letter he wants you to sign then say no. That way you'll have evidence of his behaviour is he does try anything at the Trib.

There is no way a Trib will allow the tenant to break a fixed tenancy over a noisy washing machine so id there more to the story, Why does he think you would be willing to pay $6000 to not go to the Tribunal?

$6000? Sounds a habitual rip-off artist to me. Counter sue this joker for $7000 compensation for breaking the contract. Call his bluff. Don't agree or sign anything until you see a lawyer.

Washing machine noise is common during day time and would not prove a hardship situation and $6000 for moving out fee on what grounds? Offer him your condition to end the contract (reimbursement for finding a new tenant, rent payments until a new tenant signed up, compensation for... you will know).
    Last edited by klauster; 19-04-2013 at 11:02 AM.

It's my washing machine.

Quote Originally Posted by sysealion View Post
    It's my washing machine.
    It might be your washing machine, but if it is a part of their tenancy, then you must ask permission to use it !

Quote Originally Posted by sheree99 View Post
    Whose washing machine , what time of the day / night are you using it, why is is so noisy that they can easily hear . Can the washing machine be moved.

If you can , ask him for a copy of the letter he wants you to sign then say no. That way you'll have evidence of his behaviour is he does try anything at the Trib.

There is no way a Trib will allow the tenant to break a fixed tenancy over a noisy washing machine so id there more to the story, Why does he think you would be willing to pay $6000 to not go to the Tribunal?

I used my washing machine upstairs at 6pm for 30 mins. He lives downstairs, totally separate. There is another complain from him very early for Sunday 11am wasing machine noise. Disterbed his lazy Sunday sleep.

Is the downstairs flat legal, as far as the council is concerned?

Quote Originally Posted by Nice View Post
    It might be your washing machine, but if it is a part of their tenancy, then you must ask permission to use it !
    He got my the other washing machine downstairs. We are totally separate.

Do I need permission to use my own washing machine upstairs? I don't think so.

Thread Information