Tree blocking neighbors sun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tree blocking neighbors sun

We have a Magnolia tree on the section of our rental that is blocking the neighbors sun and she obviously wants it to go.
    Im looking for objective opinions on what is a fair way to deal with the cost of having this done.
    We dont mind if the tree stays ,but want to be reasonable neighbors.
    Any viewpoints appreciated..

Allow them to pay for the removal and clean up.

Comment

Originally posted by Maccachic View Post
      Allow them to pay for the removal and clean up.
      I agree... YOU don't want/need it gone, so why should you pay.
      You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Are you going to get any benefit at all from the removal of the tree? e.g. increased sun into your property, reduced damp, reduced damage caused by root infiltration, reduced gutter/drain clearing?
        If there are any benefits, I think it would be fair just to go 50/50.

Furthermore, one day you might need something from your neighbour (e.g. consent) so best not for either one of you to feel like you owe the other anything!!

Comment

Is the tree providing benefit to your property is another way of looking at it. Mature trees, greenery etc enhance a property's appeal etc. Do you have to bend to the wishes of a neighbour? We have lots of mature trees on our property - and they do add privacy and appeal so we wouldn't cut them down.

Just a thought.

cheers,

Donna
          Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

I remove small to medium sized trees myself so it would likely not be a big deal to me to remove it. If you are not able to do that, then suggest they pay.

Still, as Donna said, how important is the tree to your property? Do you want it to go?

Comment

Doesnt seem reasonable for the neighbor to be making demands for money for something that benefits only them
              Last edited by skid; 13-04-2013, 09:12 AM.

Comment

We are happy with the tree[could do with a prune though]
                This is simply a matter of what is reasonable in terms of neighbor relations

Comment

Ask your neighbor if she is okay with paying for the tree removal or may be make a some sort of agreement to split costs with a neighbor, so everyone would be happy.

Comment

Just give it a prune! A lot of new housing developments have none or next to no trees - just low lying landscaping and it's visually boring. Trees are good - save the trees!

cheers,

Donna
                    Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

I have this issue. A neighbour's trees block my sunlight, so I asked him if I could have them trimmed.
                      Although I believe that there's a mechanism to applying to the council if a neighbour's trees cause you grief (they then get the tree owner to rectify) it seemed more neighbourly to approach direct, asking for permission and offering to pay.

Tell the neighbour that you would prefer to keep it, but that in the interests of helping her out, you will let her take care of it at her cost.
                      My blog. From personal experience.
                      http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

We just had that same scenario except the greenie neighbours trees were blocking light into our property. It affected the roof, the gutters and made the house quite dark and damp.
                        After months of pleading they finally agreed to have the WATTLE that was on the fenceline removed and all the other natives trimmed.
                        We didn't care what it cost we just wanted it sorted. Like the writer it didn't affect their privacy or sun but it sure as heck affected us big time.
                        Show some kindness and offer to have it removed if they pay half.
                        My son is having a HUGE!!! oak removed tomorrow in Beach Haven at the front of his house that has a trunk about 2 metres in diameter. Because its branches are intertwined through the powerlines Treescapes are one of 2 companies recommended to cut it down. $2800 gulp! But what a difference it will make to his roof, the drains and not having to put up with acorns dropping on the carport during the night!!

Comment

Mehole,
                          You have said your neighbors tree shade was driving you crazy and you would have paid anything to have it sorted.
                          That implies you would have been happy with just their permission to have the tree removed.
                          To then say that the poster should pay half of something that is of no benefit to them sounds like a bit much to me .
                          After all,they could have said no, in terms of permission in the first place.
                          Maybe just a contribution even if less than half would still qualify as a good neighbor?
                          Last edited by skid; 22-04-2013, 11:45 AM.

Comment

She ended up getting a crowd that would cut it for a relatively cheap price.
                            Our original contribution covered our half---sacrificed the tree to have good relations with the neighbor and not to have any future problems with roots etc. thanks for the input

Comment

Originally posted by skid View Post
                              Mehole,
                              You have said your neighbors tree shade was driving you crazy and you would have paid anything to have it sorted.
                              That implies you would have been happy with just their permission to have the tree removed.
                              To then say that the poster should pay half of something that is of no benefit to them sounds like a bit much to me .
                              After all,they could have said no, in terms of permission in the first place.
                              Maybe just a contribution even if less than half would still qualify as a good neighbor?
                              The neighbour was bipolar and a tree hugger and her father had planted a ruddy wattle on the boundary of land that was eventually subdivided. When I asked her if we could cut or trim the tree to allow light into our "home" she threw a wobbly! I had to wait until she was on her meds before approaching her again and there was no way that I would have asked for any money. The tree didn't affect her house, it was down the back of her property but it affected the morning sun on ours not to mention what the leaves and sap were doing to our roof. What if a hedge is in place instead of a fence and that hedge affects one party and not the other? Doesn't it become the responsibility of both parties to maintain and ensure that one neighbour is not affected?

Comment

Working...
                              X