Illegal dwelling _ Rights for tenants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illegal dwelling _ Rights for tenants

Hi All, I moved from Christchurch to Hamilton about 6 months ago after managing to fix up my house and a rental property. I am 28 years old and was happy to rent a 2 bedroom basement flat close to waikato uni paying $275. However It was colder than Christchurch last night and I decided to check whether this basement unit I am renting is legal.
    I went to Hamilton City Council and they confirmed the place I am renting is illegal. (illegal kitchen and bedrooms). I saw the landlord today and offered him 2 months rent so he can let me out of the contract. He said he will think about it. What are my options? Council asked me whether I would like to make a complain? I said No as they would seal the house and I would have no ware to go. Please help...

Fixed term lease or periodic?

Comment

Fixed term...

Comment

What result do you want? Do you like the place and want to stay or do you want to be somewhere else?

Comment

Originally posted by DazRaz View Post
          What result do you want? Do you like the place and want to stay or do you want to be somewhere else?
          I want to move out as I would be paying a lot for heating and Illegal plumbing and electrical makes it unsafe. Just don't want to be liable for 6 more months of rent if I moved out.

Comment

Thanks for the PMs. I hope to find a place ASAP and dob the landlord to the council if he doesn't play ball with me. I am not going to pay a cent to him either. He can take me to the tribunal and if he does I hope to claim all the rent I ve paid him.. You guys rock. Again Thanks for the advise.

Comment

Lookie here. Suggest to the landlord that you will accept payment of moving costs if you allow him to let you out of the tenancy. Otherwise, suggest to the landlord that he may be up for a $3000 fine for each time you lodge a claim at the TT.

www.3888444.co.nz
              Facebook Page

Comment

BTW Forumites.

Will we here the result of this one?

Probably not.

www.3888444.co.nz
                Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by Keys View Post
                  BTW Forumites.

Will we here the result of this one?

Probably not.
                  I will post the outcome.. I am not a regular on this site but have visited at least once or twice a month since 2008..

Comment

Can I suggest that your "i'm not going to pay a cent to him" is a very bad idea.

You should definately apply for termination, or come to an agreement, but until that point pay the rent owed.

Comment

Originally posted by ilusiv View Post
                      Can I suggest that your "i'm not going to pay a cent to him" is a very bad idea.

You should definately apply for termination, or come to an agreement, but until that point pay the rent owed.
                      Yes I will be paying till the end of stay. Good advise...
                      Although I haven't made a complaint to the council, but just because I have asked them they want to inspect the place.

Comment

If only we had capital gains tax and rental WOFs!
                        Then your basement box would be legal and you could sleep safe at night.
                        Of course your rent would be $375pw.

How does a Uni student afford $275pw any way?
                        The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

pc
                          Explain to me again why you will put your rents up if a CGT was imposed.
                          I've forgotten.

Comment

sb as a concerned and caring LL I'd never do such a thing!
                            But the market would. ;-)

Something about less supply.
                            Similar to what has already happened with all the extra tax tenants now pay for their LLs.
                            The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Yes, very concerned and caring....we all know that.

So, "the market" will make the rents go up.....due to less supply.

I call horsefeathers to that....wont happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X