• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we rich?

No eri.
    He reported that it was declared to the IRD.
    It was the Parliamentary registry where he failed to do so.
    Last edited by speights boy; 09-04-2013 at 08:00 PM.

Though i think the tax burden is too much for everyone regardless of income level, my greatest concern is if the Government is using the tax money to improve our lives or they misuse it in unnecessary expenditures.
    Homes For Sale in USA I | Home Loans I | Home Renovation Tips

Because the rich have squirreled their wealth away in the ("don't worry about it") tax havens.
    I can only assume you are yanking ones chain as this is too ridiculous to take as a serious statement.

Prove me wrong.

Its such a silly thing to say there is nothing to prove. 99% of NZ has to pay tax because the top 1% all hide their wealth and don't pay enough tax. Why would someone who obviously isn't silly even make such an obviously absurd assertion?

NZ ?
    Don't know where you get that idea from but it is absolute baloney. It is the entitlements and bizarre and excessive support for the poor and lower middle class that is amazing in the USA.

The wealthy pay the highest corporate tax rates on the entire planet. I couldn't believe how anti rich the Us system was when I was there.
    Your first entry into this thread was regarding the US.
    You are jumping all over the place.

Unless you keep on track I may have to divert my energies elsewhere.
    Last edited by speights boy; 10-04-2013 at 05:32 PM.

Well we were talking about western nations. I assumed you meant NZ because you would be really silly to try and say the US wealthy avoid taxes. As I said earlier the US has ridiculously high taxes and why more wealthy Americans don;t go offshore surprises me. Their sense of patriotism I guess....

"Wealthy Americans earn about 50 percent of all income but pay nearly 70 percent of the federal tax burden, according to the latest analysis Tuesday by the Congressional Budget Office — though the agency said the very richest have seen their share of taxes fall the last few years.CBO looked at 2007 through 2009 and found the bottom 20 percent of American earners paid just three-tenths of a percent of the total tax burden, while the richest 20 percent paid 67.9 percent of taxes.

And the very top end even more punished:
    The top 1 percent, who President Obama has made a target during the presidential campaign, earns 13.4 percent of all pre-tax income, but paid 22.3 percent of taxes in 2009.
    Last edited by Damap; 10-04-2013 at 06:19 PM.

The top 1 percent, who President Obama has made a target during the presidential campaign, earns 13.4 percent of all pre-tax income, but paid 22.3 percent of taxes in 2009.
    Yep.
    You do understand the principle behind why some people choose to have undeclared assets and income in tax havens don't you?
    Or is there a section on the W-2 for "undeclared tax haven assets you wish to keep secret"

Sheesh, even in the land of the Mountie they acknowledge the problem.

The Harper government's tough posture and weak rules on tax havens

The enormity of the scam that tax havens offer the tax-evading rich -- and the horrendous hole they leave in national coffers around the world -- has long been known and largely ignored, even as governments obsess about the resulting deficits.

That's because the rich have managed to convince us that the shortfalls should be made up by the hapless saps who diligently fill out their returns, and by government employees who have the audacity not to be working in the private sector.

Tax havens have grown explosively in the last few decades, but last week's spectacular leak of tax haven documents could mean the gig is about to be up.
    For one of those leaks see the report in my post # 3.
    Last edited by speights boy; 10-04-2013 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Damap View Post

And the very top end even more punished:
    Punish me, punish me, please please punish me.
    Put me in the top 1 percent and I'll pay all my taxes, promise, really promise.

Damap you are dreamin mate.

Cheers
    HermanZ

I don't really get this thing about the very rich not paying enough tax... even if they pay a lesser proportion than someone who has a job, they will pay more tax in one year than the worker will pay in a lifetime and never consume anywhere near as many resources/services as they have paid (for other people). It just doesn't seem like a big deal to me. They have to spend it at some point, right? So other people benefit and the tax gets paid.

Thread Information