No announcement yet.

Commercial 'warehouse' to also live in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commercial 'warehouse' to also live in?

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, just registered a couple of minutes ago!

I have an opportunity to buy a commercial building, it's like a warehouse. I'm considering to buy it for my family business, but also to live in it.

Any gotchas? E.g.: do councils usually allow that? Obviously I will have to do some renovation to make the place comfy.

Thanks,
    Jack

I am not an expert in this area, but you more likely will need building permits, zoning variance, Certificate of Occupancy and etc. I recommend you to consult with professionals. Oh, you might also need an architect as well to renovate your warehouse into residential property. I googled around and found this http://freshome.com/2011/10/20/old-w...ar-urban-home/. The couple renovated a warehouse into a family home. It looks so amazing!

Comment

The landlord may help you out with the costs but the time council takes could be more an issue
      Profiting from Property, not People

Want free help on taking your portfolio to the next level?

Comment

The cost of electricity is one gotcha that many folk get caught by.....rates for power tend to be considerably higher for commercial than for domestic

Comment

There are pros and cons. Some aspects depend on
          how rabid the local bureaucrats are.

There are lots of situations like these. If it's no too
          obvious (even largely concealed) then a blind eye is
          usually used. I've seen people knock up what might
          be called partitioned areas in pack houses to use for
          residential reasons. Most are not indefinite, of course.

I've also seem people put up 'sheds,' with facilities,
          on farm or lifestyle lots, then move in for a few years
          while they build a house.

The electricity thing can cut both ways. I.e. no hot
          water 'blackouts.'

Comment

There are also tax/GST issues.

Normally for a commercial building you can claim GST on the purchase or have it zero rated. If a portion of this building is private, then you will not be able to claim GST on this portion.

With expenses you will be able to claim a % of rates, insurance, interest etc.

It is important to work out the area's used for business vs private carefully.

Ross
            Book a free chat here
            Ross Barnett - Property Accountant

Comment

Also ownership structures.

Normally you would want your building owned in a seperate entity to your business.

If the building is your personal home as well, then Companies, QC and LTC's don't really work. So this would leave you with a Trust or personal ownership (sole trader or partnership).

Ross
              Book a free chat here
              Ross Barnett - Property Accountant

Comment

As Rosco says, you will need to divide the bills by a percentage.

There are also a lot of hoops to jump through regarding fire rating the shared wall etc, and ongoing compliance checks at your expense.

But it's not impossible, and could work out well for you. Check it out with the Council before you buy, and get their reply in writing.

Comment

All good advice above. Sound rating walls for residential is another issue Council is likely to raise. Sometimes people just do it without involving council....but they do tell their insurance company if they're wise. Don't want them declining coverage when your toaster burns the place down.

Comment

Insurance companies should and will rightfully decline if you do not obtain a building permit and later a CCC to do a residential conversion. Without a CCC its too big a risk
                    so consider your warehouse uninsurable without it

Comment

Working...
                    X