Auckland Unitary Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auckland Unitary Plan

Anyone had a chance to check out the unitary plan yet? Would be keen to see some feedback on it.

Link to the interactive zoning map:
    acmaps.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/unitaryplan/HTMLViewer/index.html

Link to the Rules
    unitaryplan.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/pages/plan/Book.aspx

Appears that areas zoned mixed housing will permit sites down to 600m2 ie if you have a house in the current Res 6a zone with less than 750m2 it is not currently a two unit site but under the unitary plan you would only need 600m2.

Today felt like Christmas reading through the plan. Find most of it pretty sensible with maybe a few things that need to be worked out. I find that the hysteria generated by the people in "Grannyville" areas seems to be unwarranted (surprise, surprise). Alot of places can't be intensified eg. Devonport, Ponsonby. Most of the intensification is in logical areas. Still looking at details.

Comment

i have properties on Mixed housing and one block of flats on Terrace Housing and Apartment Buildings.

does that mean i can build multiple apartments complex there its 1300m2?
      New Zealand's #1 Marketplace for Property Investors & Sellers!
      FREE Access to HOT Property Deals
      CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO.

Comment

A few things I wrote a submission against:

Fencing - the plan has banned fencing higher than 1.2m if it is not more than 75% transparent past that. This would effectively ban noise-proof fencing made from wood or concrete.

Minor dwellings - No mention of them whatsoever.

Clash with building code - The draft plan stipulates things like glazed area in a bedroom. This clashes with the building code which sets a performance standard instead. There are other parts like "no borrowing light from another room".

Overall thought pretty good. Did think the minimum unit size of 30 sqm will lead to some slums...

Comment

I've only had a brief look, but I find it all very confusing. Can't really seem to find any rules on anything much at all. It's all just headings.

Clash with building code - The draft plan stipulates things like glazed area in a bedroom. This clashes with the building code which sets a performance standard instead. There are other parts like "no borrowing light from another room".
          This is the councils wanting to take more control (again). They don't want it left up to architects to design things as per the building code, they want to make sure "it's done right". Pure arrogance.
          Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Under the Unitary Plan I can only see prices increasing significantly in areas where properties become subdivisible where they previously were not able to be subdivided.

With particular reference to Pt Chevalier area south of Meola Rd or Walker Rd:

A site with an original doer upper 3 bedroom bungalow or ex state that has a total land area of say 600m2 to 700m2 is not currently worth any more than about $800,000 to $850,000 if it is in the Res 6a zone.

If the Unitary Plan was active right now and that same property was in the Mixed Housing zone it would be worth, in separate lots, around $750,000 for the doer upper on a front site and the rear section would be worth around $500,000 for a total of around $1,250,000 less subdivision costs of say $90,000 = $1,160,000 less original purchase price a developer would be prepared to pay.

So the question is how much will the property be worth under the new zone versus the old zone?

Probably increase in value by $100,000 to $150,000 immediately.

Of course this will all depend on how many people suddenly want to sell or subdivide off the back yard - a surge of subdivision activity may see an over supply of sites which could impact on values - hard to predict the outcome but would be interested in other contributors thoughts.

Comment

No mention of minor dwellings but this is interesting especialy the no carpark requirement:

3.3 The conversion of a dwelling into two dwellings
              1. Where a dwelling is proposed to be converted into two dwellings the second dwelling must:
              a. have a minimum GFA of 30m2
              b. have direct access to an outdoor living space. This space may be exclusive to the dwelling or shared withthe primary dwelling
              c. have a common wall with the primary dwelling of no less than 3m or share a ceiling with the primary dwellingd. comply with the daylight controls in clause 4.3.1.4.3.11.

2. Car parking is not required for the second dwelling.

Comment

Man it's going to take quite a while for all these new rules to sink in.

Architects/designers need to think about all the things that can now be done or not done.
                Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Originally posted by Ross Brader View Post
                  No mention of minor dwellings but this is interesting especialy the no carpark requirement:

3.3 The conversion of a dwelling into two dwellings
                  1. Where a dwelling is proposed to be converted into two dwellings the second dwelling must:
                  a. have a minimum GFA of 30m2
                  b. have direct access to an outdoor living space. This space may be exclusive to the dwelling or shared withthe primary dwelling
                  c. have a common wall with the primary dwelling of no less than 3m or share a ceiling with the primary dwellingd. comply with the daylight controls in clause 4.3.1.4.3.11.

2. Car parking is not required for the second dwelling.
                  Yes this one could be exciting - buy a big 8 bedroom house, cut it into two. Like the investors did back in the 1970s.

Of course building consent requirements (fire walls, separate meters, outdoor living, etc) could be quite cost prohibitive.

I wonder whether this permits the building of purpose built duplexes in "Single House" zones. I hope it does, duplexes are pretty much the standard "first home" nowadays for the lower professional class.

Then again, this is a draft...

Comment

Of course this will all depend on how many people suddenly want to sell or subdivide off the back yard - a surge of subdivision activity may see an over supply of sites which could impact on values - hard to predict the outcome but would be interested in other contributors thoughts.
                    would sure help address the affordability debate everyone keeps ranting about with more subdivision in prime spots but the government wants to delay these changes for 3 years. Not sure if they have other agendas and backs to scratch on this. Doesnt seem logical to wait that long. So much for their free market policies, only when it suits them it seems.

yes turning one home in to 2 homes will be interesting to see what becomes of this.
                    Last edited by RHarris; 16-03-2013, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Can someone point me to a link that shows what the different colour zones mean?

Thanks

Shane

Comment

On the viewer in the layers field at the bottom there is an icon "view the full legend". Click this at up should pop up the colour key.

Comment

Originally posted by RHarris View Post
                          On the viewer in the layers field at the bottom there is an icon "view the full legend". Click this at up should pop up the colour key.
                          Cheers RHarris

So basically there will be 3 residential Zones
                          - Single House
                          - Mixed Housing
                          - Terrace Housing and Apartment Buildings

Obviously the "Terrace Housing and Apartment Buildings" will become the most valuable land for its development potential.

What does "Mixed Housing" actually mean? I am guessing this will be more valuable land than "Single House" zoned property.

Shane

Comment

Under the Unitary Plan I can only see prices increasing significantly in areas where properties become subdivisible where they previously were not able to be subdivided.
                            where would i find what was permissible in an area zoned "countryside living"?
                            have you defeated them?
                            your demons

Comment

Working...
                            X