Swimming Pools set into deck - rim of pool higher than deck = problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swimming Pools set into deck - rim of pool higher than deck = problem

Any builders out there who know about swimming pools and decks.
    Our pool and deck have been poorly built, the pool rim should be lower than the deck, and the deck should go over the edge of the pool.
    But the pool is a tad too high, and the previous owners have part of the deck sitting on the edge of the pool, which shouldnt be bearing any load.

Any builders know how to get around to this.
    We are replacing part of the rotten decking, and looking to run timber up to the pool, and put in some kind of rubber edge around the pool ???

What type of pool? Probably needs
    a picture to comment sensibly.

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post
      What type of pool? Probably needs
      a picture to comment sensibly.
      Yep good idea I have opened up myself to that
      Note how the ply is sitting on the pool rim and it shouldnt be.

Comment

Comment

I have something vaguely similar. My assessment of the situation:

Those curved ply pieces are likely screwed down, to be removable.
          That's necessary, because the fittings on top of the pool wall need
          to be removed if the liner is replaced.

The part of the deck that projects over the pool rim may be cantilevered,
          putting little load on the pool walls. However, if it is a part of the fixed
          decking, then it would be a problem, as implied in my last paragraph.

Your set-up actually looks a lot better than mine.

One piece of strong advice: do not use anything other than fully dried
          (cured) decking timber in any replacement exercise. Also, make sure the
          gap between boards is, ahhh, significant. It looks OK in your pictures.

Further, get one piece in a suitable area made like a trap door (just sits
          in there - not hinged) as it makes sweeping away leaves and other debris
          soooo easy.

And, make sure the deck boards are drilled out before nailing down. That
          allows for timber racking, without pulling the nails out of the bearers. It
          will cost more because of the labour time, but it is worth it.

Comment

I want one of those

Comment

hi blue kiwi, have you solved your problem? We have a guy(recommended by paramount pool shop) coming tomorrow to advise us on a problem we have with our 3yr old pool before we approach the pool company who put it in, I could ask him if he does that type of work as well if you like?

Comment

I'm not sure I understand the original question... you either want to lower the pool or raise the deck?

Comment

Originally posted by TheLiberalLeft View Post
                  I'm not sure I understand the original question... you either want to lower the pool or raise the deck?
                  Neither.
                  But I need to get the deck to match up to the pool.

Deck should be higher so it should overlap the rim of the pool which cant bear any weight.
                  if I keep to the plywood style that is there, this is weighing on the pool.

Need a way to match the deck up to the edge of the pool.
                  And put a nice trim on the edging, something rubber, and then tell everyone who goes in teh pool, not to climb out touching teh sides, to use the steps.

or build some complicated canterlevired doodaki to put timber over the top of the rim of the pool

Comment

Originally posted by north shore View Post
                    hi blue kiwi, have you solved your problem? We have a guy(recommended by paramount pool shop) coming tomorrow to advise us on a problem we have with our 3yr old pool before we approach the pool company who put it in, I could ask him if he does that type of work as well if you like?
                    Yeah just ask him.
                    We are going to go ahead with replacing timber and finding a better looking wood than the plywood currently used, and cut it so it falls just short of the pool wall.
                    Not ideal as stress is still applied to the pool wall, and the wood on top of the untreated timber, will rot it in due course.

anyone know of something you can apply to wood to make it sort of treated ?

Comment

Try Metalex.

PS
                      It's not cheap,
                      but it works.
                      Last edited by Perry; 15-03-2013, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Hey Paul,

You could raise the level of the whole deck around the pool? It wouldn't be *too* hard and would be a permanent fix. Pull up the decking, lay down an extra piece of decking over the joists as packing and put the decking back down. Hard to tell from the photos how much higher you need to go.
                        You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

hmmmm. So you want to raise the deck in other words.

Comment

Depends on the height you need to lift it. If it's only a matter of <=15mm or so, rather than put down another layer, could you deck it in 4x2's or 6x2's? Wouldn't be cheap, mind.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLiberalLeft View Post
                              Depends on the height you need to lift it. If it's only a matter of <=15mm or so, rather than put down another layer, could you deck it in 4x2's or 6x2's? Wouldn't be cheap, mind.
                              Solid deck though
                              You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Working...
                              X