No announcement yet.

Painting OVER wallpaper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I definitely think it depends on if you plan on occupying the property or renting it out. As Ghouly says it looks a mess after 10 or so years

Comment

I've never lived in a house yet that wasn't either wallpaper (childhood!) or paint-over-wallpaper. If you use a matte paint, you don't even notice unless you look closely.
      My blog. From personal experience.
      http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by sidinz View Post
        I've never lived in a house yet that wasn't either wallpaper (childhood!) or paint-over-wallpaper. If you use a matte paint, you don't even notice unless you look closely.
        Boy... You don't know WHAT you're missing! :P

Comment

Originally posted by Ghouly View Post
          Boy... You don't know WHAT you're missing! :P
          My mother's house is paint straight onto gib. I don't know what the fuss is about!
          My blog. From personal experience.
          http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Lets face it-painting gib is always the easiest and best.
            With wallpaper it really depends on the condition.
            Ive painted hundreds of rooms with wallpaper and most looked pretty good and some great--but if the wallpaper is badly done, and not stuck on well enough theres not much choice but to strip[the wallpaper i mean]and start from scratch or have a horrible looking room.

Comment

Has anyone had experience painting over wallpaper that has a pattern (70s style), or a slight sheen? How do you prevent it showing through?

Comment

You mean a raised/embossed style pattern, or just an image? If the former, tough luck. You cannot. If the latter and it's really bright, 2-3 coats of undercoat will sort that out.

Comment

One house I bought had a thin payer of plaster over the wallpaper, then sanded and painted (4ish finish). Tracked down the plasterer and cost was reasonable. Can take more liberties with fixing loose wallpaper. They also removed architrave and tight stopped. Overall look is clean, modern. We only had to touch up any scrapes, sand and repaint. Should be good for a few more years.

Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by heugumper View Post
                    One house I bought had a thin payer of plaster over the wallpaper, then sanded and painted (4ish finish). Tracked down the plasterer and cost was reasonable. Can take more liberties with fixing loose wallpaper. They also removed architrave and tight stopped. Overall look is clean, modern. We only had to touch up any scrapes, sand and repaint. Should be good for a few more years.

Paul.
                    I would have thought that it would make for a less durable surface - finishing plaster isn't particulary strong.

Comment

True, less durable but much tidier (and it was an owner occupier before the bank sold it). Looks good enough for me to consider it for my own house.

As for how long the plaster will last, the plasterer said it all depends on the condition of the bond between the wallpaper and the wall/next layer of wallpaper. If it all looked sound before plastering it should last many years. A friend has rentals that had this treatment five years ago and they are holding up fine.

Comment

The place we just bought has textured wallpaper from the 70s. Architraves are looking a bit mucky too. We've got two little boys so I don't think the plaster solution is for us. Looks like most the wallpaper will be coming off. Bugger.

Comment

Working...
                        X