• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Default So Key is standing by Parata...

She must have some telling & crystal-clear photos well-hidden.

Which National MP would want to be the Minister of Education?
    No teacher votes for National so every employee would be hostile to every action by the Minister.
    For that reason I'd keep Parata on and tell her to get stuck in... National won't lose any votes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Kane View Post
    Which National MP would want to be the Minister of Education?
    No teacher votes for National so every employee would be hostile to every action by the Minister.
    For that reason I'd keep Parata on and tell her to get stuck in... National won't lose any votes.
    Inclined to agree with this. The unions are very strong, well funded, change-resistant, patch-protecting and fully aligned with Labour. The unions will always be looking for a fight with a National government. Parata should stick to her guns, which she seems to be doing, and is cleverly defusing some of the Christchurch schools reorg by going into some further discussions in some cases.

Disagree. Whilst the teachers are usually Labour, the parents of the kids are not (necessarily). Would be interesting to see of all the closed schools, the number in red vs blue areas.

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    The unions will always be looking for a fight with a National government.
    Sheesh.
    When you consider what school administrators, teachers and other staff have gone through trying to receive their correct pay, I think they have shown high levels of tolerance.

3 of the 7 closures are Intermediates.
    How do you spell blueprint ?
    Last edited by speights boy; 19-02-2013 at 09:12 AM.

Exactly, sb. It's been a disaster - an utter shambles. Cambell Live seem to be the only media outlet really trying to have a go too. Parata never fronts. It's beyond a joke.

My sister was a school teacher.
    She went to school at 5 years old, and then never left the education system until she retired from teaching.
    The one undying feature of her life was her hatred for the Minister of Education, no matter who filled the position.
    It is certainly a no-win job.

Well its really to do with then next election mainly, her race and her sex, if it was a white guy he would have been gone by lunchtime.
    Its the way of the world.

She would have done a good job of that female part in Harry Potter where the Ministry of Education sent someone to run Hogwarts.
    I guess it was easy for Rolling to create the character based on real life experience.

I understand that almost no Minister of Education has retained the position for more than one Parliamentary term, over the past 40 years. Education and Social Welfare are the two no-win ministerial cabinet posts - for any government. There may be exceptions - Phil Amos had two terms? David Lange was beaten down as was Bill English.

Teachers form the largest single coherent employment group in the country. They are educated people who know how to express themselves. Furthermore they hold parents captive because we all cherish and desire the best for our children. And they have a very effective union.

I don't think Parata is any worse or better than previous ministers.

Totally agree, Winston, apart from perhaps the utter smugness and unbelievable patronising way she talks down to everyone. Apart from those, though, she's marvellous.

Thread Information