So Key is standing by Parata...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Key is standing by Parata...

She must have some telling & crystal-clear photos well-hidden.

Which National MP would want to be the Minister of Education?
    No teacher votes for National so every employee would be hostile to every action by the Minister.
    For that reason I'd keep Parata on and tell her to get stuck in... National won't lose any votes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kane View Post
      Which National MP would want to be the Minister of Education?
      No teacher votes for National so every employee would be hostile to every action by the Minister.
      For that reason I'd keep Parata on and tell her to get stuck in... National won't lose any votes.
      Inclined to agree with this. The unions are very strong, well funded, change-resistant, patch-protecting and fully aligned with Labour. The unions will always be looking for a fight with a National government. Parata should stick to her guns, which she seems to be doing, and is cleverly defusing some of the Christchurch schools reorg by going into some further discussions in some cases.

Comment

Disagree. Whilst the teachers are usually Labour, the parents of the kids are not (necessarily). Would be interesting to see of all the closed schools, the number in red vs blue areas.

Comment

Originally posted by artemis View Post
          The unions will always be looking for a fight with a National government.
          Sheesh.
          When you consider what school administrators, teachers and other staff have gone through trying to receive their correct pay, I think they have shown high levels of tolerance.

3 of the 7 closures are Intermediates.
          How do you spell blueprint ?
          Last edited by speights boy; 19-02-2013, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Exactly, sb. It's been a disaster - an utter shambles. Cambell Live seem to be the only media outlet really trying to have a go too. Parata never fronts. It's beyond a joke.

Comment

My sister was a school teacher.
              She went to school at 5 years old, and then never left the education system until she retired from teaching.
              The one undying feature of her life was her hatred for the Minister of Education, no matter who filled the position.
              It is certainly a no-win job.

Comment

Well its really to do with then next election mainly, her race and her sex, if it was a white guy he would have been gone by lunchtime.
                Its the way of the world.

She would have done a good job of that female part in Harry Potter where the Ministry of Education sent someone to run Hogwarts.
                I guess it was easy for Rolling to create the character based on real life experience.

Comment

I understand that almost no Minister of Education has retained the position for more than one Parliamentary term, over the past 40 years. Education and Social Welfare are the two no-win ministerial cabinet posts - for any government. There may be exceptions - Phil Amos had two terms? David Lange was beaten down as was Bill English.

Teachers form the largest single coherent employment group in the country. They are educated people who know how to express themselves. Furthermore they hold parents captive because we all cherish and desire the best for our children. And they have a very effective union.

I don't think Parata is any worse or better than previous ministers.

Comment

Totally agree, Winston, apart from perhaps the utter smugness and unbelievable patronising way she talks down to everyone. Apart from those, though, she's marvellous.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLiberalLeft View Post
                      Totally agree, Winston, apart from perhaps the utter smugness and unbelievable patronising way she talks down to everyone. .
                      Yes that is quite annoying.
                      Probably the main reason why she is hated.
                      I am getting very worried TLL, I am starting to agree with you on too many issues.

Comment

Don't be worried. I'm as annoyed as the next man when I hear how she lectured teachers about the correct pronunciation of little Hemi's name.

Comment

Originally posted by speights boy View Post
                          Sheesh.
                          When you consider what school administrators, teachers and other staff have gone through trying to receive their correct pay, I think they have shown high levels of tolerance.
                          The teachers pay fiasco is pretty much all their own fault.
                          The teachers appear to have an extremely complex formula to calculate their pay - as a result of their negotiations over the years.
                          Complex systems are hard to develop and maintain.
                          To replace one complex system with another needs an enormous amount of planning, developing and testing before it goes live.
                          All this costs money and takes time which the Education department didn't seem to have.
                          If the teachers had a simple calculation for their pay then any payroll system could be used and there would be no on-going problems.
                          The smart quick-fix for them is to drop the complexity of the system.

Comment

Come on, Bob. The fiasco that is Novopay is indefensible.

Complex or not, there are a number of global IT players (Oracle, JDE, Peoplesoft - all under Oracle, SAP) who have brilliant payroll systems capable of such complexity.

The system that was used was ill-conceived and badly planned from the get-go. The system is not the teachers' fault.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kane View Post
                              The teachers pay fiasco is pretty much all their own fault.
                              The teachers appear to have an extremely complex formula to calculate their pay - as a result of their negotiations over the years.
                              Complex systems are hard to develop and maintain.
                              To replace one complex system with another needs an enormous amount of planning, developing and testing before it goes live.
                              All this costs money and takes time which the Education department didn't seem to have.
                              If the teachers had a simple calculation for their pay then any payroll system could be used and there would be no on-going problems.
                              The smart quick-fix for them is to drop the complexity of the system.
                              You have to be joking - all their own fault! The old system worked on the same complex rules. There is no doubt it is complex - take a Friday off and you lose a days pay, take a Friday and a Monday off and you lose 4!

Try being a teacher (primary) for the bugger all pay they get. You don't do it for the money!!

Comment

Working...
                              X