David Cameron pledges EU referendum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Cameron pledges EU referendum

David Cameron has promised an in/out referendum on the UK's membership of the European Union by the end of 2017 if the Conservatives win the next general election.

Source 1

Source 2
    Last edited by essence; 24-01-2013, 01:06 AM.
    Patience is a virtue.

Lol, safely far enough away to not really mean anything.

He could get out of that, or shift the date etc. in a hundred different ways.

But it looks like he's made a commitment...
    Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Yes, he can.

But guess what, he needs to a mandate from the UK public. There is a small but growing wave of anti-EU sentiment.

The UK is one of the biggest contributors to the finances of the EU, whilst many other countries (Portugal, Spain, Greece) have done nothing but take, take, take from the EU.

The EU NEEDS the UK to be part of it.

IMHO, there is a strong possibility that the EU could collapse without the stability of the UK. It's not obvious - yet, but it could happen.

History will tell.
      Patience is a virtue.

Comment

Yes, Prime Minister! Cameron's EU referendum unites Tories, delights business and even gets Germany on side
        Source

Of course its the first flush of political spin - but it's damned interesting to watch.

All David Cameron wants to do is re-negotiate the terms Britain has with the EU. If he's not careful, the public will demand Britain withdrawal from the EU.

Now wouldn't that be interesting for world economics? Mind you, it's YEARS away from any vote.

Watch the back ground manoeuvring more than the public announcements.
        Patience is a virtue.

Comment

essence

Is there any effect on all this if our Scottish friends vote 'yes' next year; which appears unlikely I see ?

Comment

Two weeks ago, I would've thought it would be a certainty that Scotland would vote "Yes" next year...... now I'm not so sure.

I think the reality of the costs of separation is starting to hit home with Scotland. They want Sovereignty but they also still need to be part of the UK to survive.

Also, what would the English flag look like without St Andrew's Cross on it?? Hmmm, now that would be interesting.
            Patience is a virtue.

Comment

The English flag has St Georges Cross on it Essence Did you mean the British flag? Yes they'd have to do replace the blue with green for north ireland and wales aye
              Last edited by donna; 25-01-2013, 02:59 PM.
              Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Being none to sure about the flags that make up the GB flag, I looked it up.

Source

The origins of the flag date back to 1603, when James VI of Scotland inherited the English and Irish thrones (as James I), thereby uniting the crowns of England, Scotland and Ireland in a personal union (which remained separate states).

On 12 April 1606, a new flag to represent this regal union between England and Scotland was specified in a royal decree, according to which the flag of England (a red cross on a white background, known as St George's Cross), and the flag of Scotland (a white saltire on a blue background, known as the Saltire or St Andrew's Cross), would be joined together, forming the flag of Great Britain and first union flag.
                So theoretically, England would be back to just using St George's Cross(?).

Not too sure Ireland or Wales would want their "colours" on the UK flag.
                Last edited by essence; 25-01-2013, 10:20 PM. Reason: Source
                Patience is a virtue.

Comment

Scotland's not going anywhere I reckon - too expensive and also too scary for them without the support of England. They don't want to become an 'Ireland' e.g. one of the PIIGS of Europe - I guess it would then be PIIGSS.

cheers,

Donna
                  Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Working...
                  X