Building a shed against a fence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFlash View Post
    The main issue is the fire risk to your neighbors from your wood and flammable materials used to run your mower.

Examples of work that does not require a building consent:

• A patio or deck at ground level
    • Garden trellis less than 2 metres high
    • Maintenance of your house, for example, replacing spouting or a piece of weatherboard
    • Building a small garden shed (provided it is no closer than its own height to the boundary, is under 10 m², and less than one storey high)
    May require resource consent though depending on where you are

Comment

What would be the difference if the firewood
      and mower were covered by a tarpaulin? A good
      dose of 'get real' seems apposite, in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFlash View Post
        The counter side of the argument is - somebody who builds a shed, runs power to it and then proceeds to chop wood with a buzz saw under your kids window through the night - that's what happened to me. There is always two sides of a coin and somebody will always try to push the envelope. I spouse that’s why we empower the council to create regulations for us as a collective.
        But if you build the shed close to the fence and don't disturb anyone they
        a/ probably won't notice it so won't complain to anyone
        b/ won't care if they do notice
        But if you annoy them then they may just complain and you will have to move it.

Comment

And then a few years down the line ,have it put as an existing building on the plans ,as advised by the architect next door to us---and of course ,stay away from buzz saws.

Comment

Really....he/she said to do that....totally unkosher I assume. Maybe I'll build the whole house out right to the edges of the boundary as well and get that put on the plans haha...and high rise it as well..

Comment

i am with JimO...... just do it If someone objects move it then?

getting Ok with the neighbor reduces chances of a complaint

Comment

At the start of this year I built a woodshed out of old shipping pallets - it's about 2.5 metres high and is erected hard up against the boundary fence between properties. The corrugated roof slopes toward the neighbour/fence and I installed a gutter at the top of the fence (on my side of the palings) to catch all the rain run-off.
                I justify it as the neighbour has a tin shed which is hard up against the same boundary on his side of the fence (along with his 1960's concrete block garage). Tit for tat I say...

The neighbour has not complained - but then he is only renting it.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonW View Post
                  At the start of this year I built a woodshed out of old shipping pallets - it's about 2.5 metres high and is erected hard up against the boundary fence between properties. The corrugated roof slopes toward the neighbour/fence and I installed a gutter at the top of the fence (on my side of the palings) to catch all the rain run-off.
                  I justify it as the neighbour has a tin shed which is hard up against the same boundary on his side of the fence (along with his 1960's concrete block garage). Tit for tat I say...

The neighbour has not complained - but then he is only renting it.
                  As I suggested a few years ago
                  But if you build the shed close to the fence and don't disturb anyone they
                  a/ probably won't notice it so won't complain to anyone
                  b/ won't care if they do notice
                  But if you annoy them then they may just complain and you will have to move it.

Everyone does it - have a look around any neighbourhood at the sheds up against the fence.
                  Not an issue until suddenly it becomes one.

Comment

strictly speaking council only have 6 mths to require action from the time they should have known which some say is when it first appeared

Comment

Working...
                    X