Managing the Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sheree99 View Post
    How often do you thin k you need to do go on these inspections? Once a yr. Once every 2 yrs? If find on these inspections that either the long term or more urgent maintenance is not being reported to you then I suggest you need to change your PM.... or recheck the reports and photos sent to make sure you have read them. Do you actually get photos each inspections and how often are the inspections done. 3.4 or 6monthly?

Had a owner visit hips properties yesterday, He hadn't seen them for 2 yrs , as he lives out of NZ. but was very impressed with the condition of them and the only longterm maintenance that was needed, he confirmed, had been in the reports.

So owners get and even better idea of how their properties look we are also moving to videoing the inspections.

wwww.aucklandproperty.met
    nz.linkedin.com/pub/sharon-ruis/12/594/487/
    Once a year would be fine.

Photos sent with inspection report! We're still trying to get comprehensive written reports rather than a note tacked on the end of the statement - and that's an improvement on the last guy!

P.S. Should that be aucklandproperty.net?
    DFTBA

Comment

Hi Cube... oops yes net.... I really must get glasses.. they are making the font smaller and smaller these days

I've sent photos for yrs with inspection reports. All reports are by e-mail and it's easy to attach a few photos Never had a tnt not allow photos to be taken.

wwww.aucklandproperty.net
      nz.linkedin.com/pub/sharon-ruis/12/594/487/

Comment

I think the Pm in this case went overboard taking photo from all corners of each room regardless of what the tnt said. I'd find what the PM did intrusive as well.

I've never come across tnts who minded you taking a general lounge shot, kitchen shot and a couple of bedrooms as long as beds are made and nothing too personal about. I don't take pics of every room at every inspection.

It's about using common sense. I don't take photos of their kids. I don't take photos if they are asleep in the bed or asleep on the couch etc. I also tell my tnts they are only going to the owner and one reason I take a few photos is to prove that the inspection was indeed done. The really house proud tnts like having the photo taken because they want the owner to know how well they are looking after the place. Good feed back from the owner gets passed on to the tnt.

I do admit that recently I did take a photo of the inside of a 11yr old girls wardrobe.... I did get the fathers permission and I did tell him the reason that I wanted to take it was to show my miss 11 what a tidy 11 yrs old wardrobe should look like. ( needless to say my miss 11 didn't believe me) The wardrobe sliding door was open when I went into the room. I don't usually open wardrobe doors.

It's like the LL's/PM's who do inspections and check inside all the kitchen cupboards, wardrobes, under the beds, behind furniture and in the vanity, criticize the tnts for having th clothes on the bed, etc are also being intrusive and could be breaching the same section.

Comment

I don't usually open wardrobe doors.

It's like the LL's/PM's who do inspections and check inside all the kitchen cupboards, wardrobes,...snip... and in the vanity, ...
          We open wardrobes, cupboards, drawers etc. Simply to ascertain that they are still working. Anything which was there before the tenant moved in we can examine.

www.3888444.co.nz
          Facebook Page

Comment

But the tnts private items are now in the cupboards, drawers etc so by you looking inside them it could been seen as a breach of their privacy, especially if PM touched or moved any items.

Many pm companies send there tnts a form regarding what need repairs etc with a checklist of what to look at so if they report nothing needs repairing why still check them.

Comment

Wet area cupboards need to be checked for leaks.

Comment

so that's the hot water cupboard if they have on...although sometimes the water cylinder is in the roof space, behind an access panel in the wall ( screwed shut) or an infinity unit under the sink or under the basin, doesn't mean you should open every drawer in the vanity, every medicine cabinet, every wardrobe , every kitchen cupboard, every bedroom drawer if the property is furnished.

Can I ask you if the cylinder is in the roof space or it has a header tank do you go up to the roof space to check it..........
                do you check the wall that the shower adjoins, moving furniture if necessary to ensure the show is not leaking...
                Do you crawl under the house to make sure none of the pipes are leaking?

From my many yrs exp as as PM most leaks that go undetected or not immediately reported by tnts don't come from wet area cupboard leaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post

Sorry - you've lost me, there.
                  Maybe you are too young! It's one of the great comic one liners.

Comment

Flattery will get you nowhere. However,
                    don't let that stop you from trying.

Comment

so that's the hot water cupboard if they have on...although sometimes the water cylinder is in the roof space, behind an access panel in the wall ( screwed shut) or an infinity unit under the sink or under the basin, doesn't mean you should open every drawer in the vanity, every medicine cabinet, every wardrobe , every kitchen cupboard, every bedroom drawer if the property is furnished.

Can I ask you if the cylinder is in the roof space or it has a header tank do you go up to the roof space to check it..........
                      do you check the wall that the shower adjoins, moving furniture if necessary to ensure the show is not leaking...
                      Do you crawl under the house to make sure none of the pipes are leaking?

From my many yrs exp as as PM most leaks that go undetected or not immediately reported by tnts don't come from wet area cupboard leaks.
                      Not sure who suggested all that! Strawman perhaps?

Yes, I check the wet area cupboards.

Comment

It was Keys who said "We open wardrobes, cupboards, drawers etc."

What I was getting at is why do you check the wet area cupboards... as I said the unreported leaks are often not found there.
                        If you are going to check the we area cupboards why stop there.

Comment

It was Keys who said "We open wardrobes, cupboards, drawers etc."

What I was getting at is why do you check the wet area cupboards... as I said the unreported leaks are often not found there.
                          If you are going to check the we area cupboards why stop there.
                          i'll cite one example as in the case of a bathroom next to a kitchen with white gib wall separating the two ... opening cupboard under kitchen sink revealed gib stained with black mildew ... tenant was instructed to and mildew was subsequently cleaned off (verified) ... 6 months later same problem ... there was nothing wrong with visible kitchen sink piping ... but something was definitely wrong here

long ago and backing onto kitchen sink wall there used to be a bath which was replaced with shower box during reno ... it wasnt till we broke into gib board to check piping in between both ... that we discovered weeping leak in pipe joint

its a fundamental and essential task ... to check all wet area cupboards periodically ... due to health hazards
                          Derived from "Turbid" ..... akin to toxic Carbide(s) .... by adding "e" to "Turbid", we then have,
                          Turbide(s) = new alternative word for Scumbag(s) .. Thankfully, humanity's minority -
                          May 2012

Comment

Originally posted by artemis View Post
                            Maybe you are too young! It's one of the great comic one liners.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                            DFTBA

Comment

Working...
                            X