First home / North Shore, Auckland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First home / North Shore, Auckland

We are thinking of buying our first home and trying to be close to city. Nearest we can go with our budget of 500k is around Hill Crest, Glenfield, Birkdale, Beach Haven Chatswood, Chelsea area.
    Are they good areas to be buying our first property ? Do you know good streets and bad streets in the area ? Do you forecast any capital gains going forward in next few years in these areas ?
    Any tips. Thanks very much to all in advance

I would say Chatswood, Chelsea, Birkenhead, Glenfield, Birkdale and Beachhaven in that order.
    My own home was in Beachhaven for 10 years, basic rule is that to the seaward side of Rangitira Road - good, the other side not so good and downright bad in places.
    Chatswood and Chelsea are considered "upmarket" for the area.
    FYI I am selling my rental in Waipa Street- 3 bedroom plus study, $420,000 its a town house don't know if that interests you. Any way drop me a line if you are - gavinc60 at yahoodotcom

Comment

If you're hoping to be near the city, is there any reason you're focusing on the North Shore? That commute over the bridge can be vicious.

Comment

Originally posted by batterycharger View Post
        That commute over the bridge can be vicious.
        The commute under the bridge is pleasant.

Comment

I'd concur with gavinc, but remember that what 500k buys you in Chatswood is far removed from what it buys in the arse end of Beachaven, and everything in between.

For capital gain and bang for buck, not to mention a place you might be happy to come home to, I'd go middle ground with Glenfield.

Comment

Chatswood and birkenhead may be getting out of your price range, and watch for agents claiming the house is in Birkenhead, when really its birkdale.

I have been watching birkdale for over ten years expecting it to go ahead, but in fact it has lagged behind most north shore suburbs.

Hillcrest would be my pick. Lots of nicely elevated and sunny sites. Glenfield is a huge area and has some good locations, but also some bad.

Comment

I agree with all the advice so far. I know the areas mentioned and can only add that in any overseas city the proximity of Northcote and Birkenhead (even with a bridge) to the city would make it a white hot desirable locale...but...anything the traffic boys touch turns to smelly stuff. Onewa road is a disaster and in my opinion continues to hold that whole precinct back. Good advice on many trying to sell Birkdale as Birkenhead and Beachhaven is a heck of a distance further on with some lovely streets only a stones throw from rubbish property and demographic. My pals complain that the police helicopter is constantly overhead. My advice is make Verrans Cnr the limit and from the top of Onewa the same distance towards Glenfield is the most I would consider and then Glenfield central through to Sunnynook is another good prospect.

Comment

What is the attraction with the North Shore - apart from Dport and Taka and a few other beach front spots - it seems to be a bland sprawl of suburbs interspersed with the odd shopping mall and strip mall. What am I missing?

Comment

The only reason is the low budget 500k. With this budget i can't touch Mt. Eden, Sandringham, Remuera, Newmarket, etc.. if you know what i mean. Also, a funny thought that these areas are closest to employment (city), etc.. we think finding a good street in this area within this budget can work for us.. so here i am validating my thoughts with all you experts !! Thanks mate !!

Comment

Thanks for the insight GavinC - that's helpful !! we are looking for a house with some land area for kids to play. thanks for the letting me know about your property !!

Comment

SK - as is the rest of Auckland apart from those few burbs with character new the very central city - you know, the ones making the headlines recently for having price averages in 7 figures, with one burb about to break the 2-mill mark for the 1st time.

West, South & East Auckland is exactly as you describe as well.

Except the Shore is nicer. Trust me on this.

Comment

Thanks mate ! any good and bad streets in Glenfield you have to be aware of !!

Comment

Thanks Gladdynook !! why do you think Birkdale is keeping north shore suburbs back. Just want to know your thoughts around it !!

Comment

Thanks Grundy !! Comparing Otara and Manurewa and these suburbs Beach Haven, Northcote, Birkdale,etc.. which is worse and best in your opinion ? Just a thought came to my mind when you mentioned helicopter roaming around the area.

Comment

Glenfield is a large area and it's been split up by name as well. Totaravale I think, and "old" Glenfield, which is the area around Manuka road. It's all roughly about the same. There's good in bad in everyone. You learn to live, we learn to give each other what we need to survive.

Comment

Working...
                              X