Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KiwiBuild - Labour's latest spectacularly stupid idea.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morons Unite - And March Into Parliament!

At the risk of promoting swelled-head syndrome, a re-visit to Peter's tale of "affordable," could be edifying.

Skip down to the paragraph that starts . . .
    Similarly, we now seem to be embroiled in a wide-ranging public discussion on the merits of ‘affordable housing’.
    It's dated 2013!

Of course, those who most need to read it, never will.

Comment

• this what you do in opposition

spend the time coming up with no-brainer promises

In his State of the Nation speech in Christchurch today,

Bridges said that a National-led Government would adjust tax thresholds within a year of every election.

The move would address bracket creep, when inflation pushes income into a higher tax threshold.

why wasn't labour doing this?

because their whole ideology is based on raising taxes

or at least shifting more taxation onto the main taxpayers

so a small group can receive even more for not working

it matters more to be seen to be throwing national-voter-money at labour-voter-problems

than actually fixing them

fixing people problems is HARD

and generally only works from the inside out...
      Last edited by eri; 30-01-2019, 06:08 PM.
      have you defeated them?
      your demons

Comment

• 29 Jan 2019
        Originally posted by Stuff
        Brad Jones, president of the Fencing Contractors Association, said it was a problem across the fencing sector. "It's hard, physical work. Young people don't want to do physical work. We are on the tail end of a generation of people who were told to go to university, don't do physical work. That doesn't help."
        Next: Satire or reality?

Comment

• eri, you're pretty biased in your political view I reckon.

What about John Key promising not to raise GST and then doing exactly that? Here's a reminder if you forgot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3-RYMwJiWA

Did National raise tax thresholds when they were in power.... not as far as I'm aware.

I don't vote for either of these 2 main parties. They both make promises before an election they don't keep when in office. As well as other things of course.
          Squadly dinky do!

Comment

• if there had been no chch earthquake

there would have been no gst rise

seems that while i was writing the earlier post

stuff was getting ready to make much the same point

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...-bracket-creep

The working groups have been roundly criticised as a stall to develop policy that was never developed when those MPs were wiling away the years on Opposition benches.

What Bridges is proposing is targeted at those Kiwis falling into the "rich" tax bracket at $70,000, merely because inflation has pushed their wage there, but living costs have invariably increased by more.

And the Government appears to have been caught off guard

Bridges, in Opposition, has come straight out of the blocks in 2019 with policy; clearly communicated, easy to understand, not groundbreaking, but not a stretch to implement.

He will be hoping that the simple act of unveiling costed policy, in a non-election year, will seem to be a contrast to Labour's time spent on the opposing benches.

well-meaning muppets

are still muppets

fit for entertaining children

and not much else
            Last edited by eri; 30-01-2019, 07:49 PM.
            have you defeated them?
            your demons

Comment

• David! Shock! Horror!

Your recall goes back an election or two.

The Gulag, for you!

Comment

• Yes Perry, I need to be re-educated.

Which means having my memory erased and new memories put in their place.

Like they do in China. Whilst relieving one of that unnecessary 2nd kidney at the same time
                Squadly dinky do!

Comment

You sure?

Oh and the rockstar economy you mention was massive low skilled immigration along with a housing boom. Want me to find the video where John Key says this? When safely out of government in a nice cushy chairmanship role of course.
                  Squadly dinky do!

Comment

• post + say what you like

still a free country

links to respectable websites

always a bonus
                    Last edited by eri; 30-01-2019, 07:59 PM.
                    have you defeated them?
                    your demons

Comment

• voters

are supposed to exhibit bias

it's called a vote?
                      Last edited by eri; 30-01-2019, 08:37 PM.
                      have you defeated them?
                      your demons

Comment

• Hmmm, I can't find the video, it was linked to by someone on interest.co.nz last year sometime. The nearest I can get is this article by Liam Dann: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12097773

We've seen record immigration and a housing boom driving the domestic economy for several years and it has created a powerful wealth effect for many New Zealanders – even if it has created a widening inequality gap with those who were not set up to benefit.

Yes we're supposed to make a decision as a voter, but we can change when the performance of the party we chose goes downhill.
                        Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Note that GST was raised on 1st October 2010. https://www.ird.govt.nz/technical-ta...-increase.html

The first Christchurch earthquake, which was very minor in comparison to the one in Feb 2011, occurred on the 4th September 2010. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_C...ury_earthquake

But the GST increase was announced in May of 2010, as part of the budget. https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=10646041

So it wasn't a reaction to the earthquakes at all.

For some the GST increase balanced out their income tax reduction. For me it was terrible, I was part way through development and so this added 2.5% to everything.

That's when I stopped voting for them. Up until then I had been a National voter.
                          Squadly dinky do!

Comment

• ok my bad

if the gst increase was announced before the first chch quake

it was hardly in response to it

wasn't here those years

and from a afar

sept. quake

oct. gst increase

looked like a response

and probably mistook the gov. saying

"lucky we have the gst increase to spend"

for

"that's why we have a gst increase to spend"

but i do feel

national deserves praise for its response to the 4? disasters on its watch

1. 2008 GFC

2. 2010 chch quake 1

3. 2010 pike river

4. 2011 chch quake 2

and labour deserves condemnation for over-promising + under-delivering

in a year where it got more money to spend than expected, (but still wasn't enough, will never be enough)

all its disasters were internally generated
                            Last edited by eri; 31-01-2019, 02:52 PM.
                            have you defeated them?
                            your demons

Comment

• Yes National did have it pretty tough. They got through by borrowing a shit ton of money.

So imagine this as a personal situation i.e. something bad economically happens to a person, and how they deal with it:

Let's say a person loses their job. They still have all their bills to pay: mortgage, utility bills and all the rest.
                              They borrow $200k on their mortgage to live on and pay their bills for a year.
                              At the end of the year they get a job and have income coming in again.
                              They crow about what a good job they did managing their finances and how everything is now sorted. The $200k extra debt is never mentioned.

This is how National dealt with the disasters you mention above. There is never, ever any mention of the large debt incurred.

Of course National also: undertook infrastructure building, lowered the OCR to kick off a housing boom and allowed massive immigration - as I've said before.

I guess in the personal situation this would be like someone renewing their kitchen to keep themselves busy whilst renting out their rooms to flatmates. Flatmates that can't be asked to leave once they got a job again. They will be there forever. And they don't really pay their way.

In regards to over promising, JK did promise the Pike River families he'd go in. Then reneged. https://thestandard.org.nz/pike-rive...ise-he-denies/

So he made a promise and then not only did he not keep it, he denied having made it!

So, look Labour is no better. They're all as bad as eachother.
                              Squadly dinky do!

Comment

• Housing minister warned that property rights will be undermined by Urban Development Authority
                                31 Jan 2019
                                Originally posted by Stuff
                                Officials have warned Housing Minister Phil Twyford that property rights could be eroded by the all-powerful land agency he wants to create.
                                Wonder if rent control powers might lurk in there, somewhere, too?

Comment

Working...
                                X