NZPIF Conference at Hamilton, October 12-14th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NZPIF Conference at Hamilton, October 12-14th

For the first time, I plan to attend the annual NZPIF Conference, despite it clashing with another conference that my wife will be attending at Hastings on the same weekend.

This event is being held at the Kingsgate Hotel, Te Rapa.

Having paid my fee, I went to the hotel website.
    First hitch - the promo code they give you to access a discounted room rate is rejected as 'unknown code' by the hotel booking system.
    Second hitch - if you check room availability for this weekend without the promo code you get 'no room availability' at the hotel.

Oh well, go to the alternative accommodation providers BJ's Motor Inn and see what they have got.
    What they have got is 'Sorry, online booking currently unavailable.'

Yet another triumph for the accommodation industry.
    I wonder, is this standard performance?

Are any of the well-known regulars here attending? Maybe we could meet up.

I can now report that, having enquired with the Kingsgate by old-fashioned carrier pigeon, they do still have room vacancies for the duration of the conference.

And no, they don't seem to be particularly fazed by the non-operational status of their internet reservation system.
    Strange people.

Comment

Originally posted by flyernzl View Post
      I can now report that, having enquired with the Kingsgate by old-fashioned carrier pigeon, they do still have room vacancies for the duration of the conference.

And no, they don't seem to be particularly fazed by the non-operational status of their internet reservation system.
      Strange people.
      I seem to remember that BJ's isn't very flash (And if I'm thinking of the right place, my comment is being extremely generous).

I would suggest going to Barclay Motel, which is run by Neil and Margaret Brimblecombe who are property investors, and are quite active with Waikato Property Investors Association. Otherwise Bella Vista is new and run by great people. Both Barclay and Bella Vista are around 2 to 2.5 km's from Kingsgate.

Ross
      Book a free chat here
      Ross Barnett - Property Accountant

Comment

I've stayed at the Kingsgate several times. Generally fairly well served.
        Generally helpful staff. *In-room Internet access is a rip-off! I've found
        their reservations system wanting. I always communicate directly with
        them via e-mail. One name sticks: Stephanie. (BTW - I'm told that the
        Hamilton Kingsgate is not really a part of the Millennium group - they're
        a name-using franchise.)

I've usually found their bed & breakfast deal to be good value. The
        spa pools are worth a soak, if you've had a hard day.

Shower-over-bath in the main wing. (ugh!) Stall showers elsewhere.

*20 minutes free access each 24 hour period in the lounge.
        Last edited by Perry; 18-09-2012, 09:00 PM.

Comment

See you there Flyernzl, I look forward to it.
          New Zealand's #1 Marketplace for Property Investors & Sellers!
          FREE Access to HOT Property Deals
          CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO.

Comment

An interesting conference indeed. Now that I’ve caught up with myself, where do I start?

The fun began with the drive down from Auckland. I thought that the Kingsgate Hotel, Te Rapa, should be easy to find, so stupidly I didn’t bother noting the street address. Te Rapa, after all, is not that big a place and all strung out along the main highway. Not so, it seems. After paddling through the Friday traffic and dodging Mack trucks and Mercedes buses, no sign of the place. OK, plan B – the information centre. That’s hidden as well. Plan C is try the Public Library. At least I know where that is in Hamilton, and they direct me back up to Garden Place and the Information Centre. If you thought Auckland traffic is bad, you haven’t experienced Hamilton’s city centre on a Friday afternoon. It’s where the traffic planners try out their evil schemes before inflicting them elsewhere. Avoid.

The Kingsgate, once found, is standard modern. No complaints there. So on to the NZPIF meeting. Chatted to a few folk from Taranaki and Wellington, but what happened to the Auckland delegation? Conspicuously absent. Caught short with a few too many lattes perhaps. Things seem to be rolling well nationally as far as this newby can tell, even if submissions at Government level are a struggle. The impromptu speeches from the regional delegates were a bit of fun, and the Christchurch presentation dressed up the day quite well.

The evening social event started off with a bang. Yes folks, a drumming group. I have a relative into Tongan drumming and I thought I knew a bit, but take it from me the Hamilton Chinese drumming group are really worth watching. A bit of social mix and mingle, and then to bed.

Looking at the serious stuff on Saturday I was a bit doubtful. I have listened to hot-gospel Australians and Americans previously, and frankly they do not light my fire. Kurek Ashley was along well-trodden lines and I figured that I’d sit out the first Brad Sugars session and then fade out for a bit. However, there was just enough in there to keep me mildly interested for the rest of his presentation. As usual, there is about 30% that I agree with, 30% I strongly disagree and the other 40% a bit ho-hum. That’s life.
            By late that afternoon I was getting a bit restless. I find that sitting throughout an all day session is hard on the body so I skipped out and went for a walk down by Hamilton Lake. Fresh air and wind to clear the cobwebs, just the ticket.

As I have no intention of investing in the US I patronized the accounting session on Sunday morning, and, as usual, went away from that one feeling a bit depressed. Why do accountants have that effect on people? The follow up by a bank economist and a couple of tax consultants did not help much either. I guess we need to know this stuff, but it’s all a bit gruesome for my taste.

So was it worth it? I met some interesting people from various parts of the country and probably learnt just enough new stuff to say, marginally, yes. It’s not a cheap exercise. Conference costs and accommodation around $900 without travel, so you do need to think twice about the budget. I am happy I went, but the jury is still out about whether I would repeat the exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by flyernzl View Post
              So was it worth it? I met some interesting people from various parts of the country
              and probably learnt just enough new stuff to say, marginally, yes. I am happy I went,
              but the jury is still out about whether I would repeat the exercise.
              A very common feeling with such things. I've been to several conferences where
              the 'networking' over lunch, morning & afternoon breaks, etc., were almost as
              good a value as the formal sessions, themselves.

Seems you were the Auckland contingent: you just didn't know it.

Comment

Thanks for Sharing your experience, I personally think it was great and worth the travel.
                perhaps it is do to the fact that im not living which is a big smoke with a lot of Property Investing networking opportunities around. (although doing it over the phone and the odd Coffee once a month)

Net working is a big part of it for me, in fact there are few people i didn't menage to talk to which i wanted to.

Comment

Where was the Auckland crowd?

did anyone actually show up?

Comment

Where was the Auckland crowd?
                    Yes hips of Auckland crowd i talked to. Not as much as one would hope but still a few.

Comment

I think that we are all a bit nervous about trekking south of the Bombay hills.
                      The natives out there can be a bit fierce you know.

(On the screen I saw there were about 15 people listed as being from AKL).

Comment

Originally posted by Orkibi View Post
                        Net working is a big part of it for me, in fact there are few people i didn't menage to talk to which i wanted to.
                        Ah, I think I can place you now. Did you have breakfast with the CPIA last Friday?

www.3888444.co.nz
                        Facebook Page

Comment

No I i didn't Keys, I arrived on Friday around 1pm. did have few chats with some of the guys from CPIA.

Comment

^^^ Including me

Comment

Working...
                            X