• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 208 of 208 FirstFirst ... 108 158 198 206 207 208
Results 2,071 to 2,078 of 2078

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Kane View Post
    This would suggest that the amateur landlords are moving out leaving the professional landlords to take over.
    with professional anything the quality tends to be better but I've never seen professional anything being cheaper than the amateurs

do you think labour wanted to drive prices of rents up?

Yes & No.

That law of unintended consequences again.

Labour have as part of their core beliefs that someone else will pay.

Or someone else can be made to pay.

They'll never learn.

Never.
    Last edited by Perry; 12-11-2017 at 10:01 AM.
    Try Radenbrea Studios for hand-made designer jewellery. Especially if you're looking for a great gift for your lady love.
    Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Meehole View Post
    Is it always and ever the fault of the LL Perry? Then why did an adjudicator award in my favour when my tenant queried me charging him to get the mould off the ceiling of the double internal access garage? If the tenant causes mould on the curtains and I can prove that it was their doing then I charge them for replacement curtains. I have not had to reverse my charge to replace or professionally clean a curtain yet.
    Maybe adjudicators in the North are a little more understanding of the mould problem?
    Mould grows in warm humid places, (you never find it in your average fridge).
    NZ is a country sandwiched between sea's that are often warm, resulting in high humidity and we are often feed high humidity warm temperature winds from the tropics.
    Curtains go mouldy in warm humid houses. Warmth from heating , warmth from the sun especially afternoon sun which warms both the rooms and the curtains. The amount of moisture that air and curtains will hold is determined by the temperature, thus when it is warm and humidity is high the fabrics absorb moisture from the air. In doing so they also absorb organisms that are in the moisture. Add to that the contamination from everyday use, pets etc and we have an incubator. The bacteria like the substrate that the curtain fabrics have and will multiply.
    The ingress and egress of the moisture is daily occurrence. Things like showers and cooking all help to increase the humidity in a house.

Now you can argue that tenants should air the property but in the past there is a tenancy ruling saying this is the property owners responsibility as a tenant cannot be expected to leave windows etc open whilst away from the property say at work. ( I have a copy of that ruling).

If the curtains have a blockout lining then they can go mouldy very quickly. The reason is that the lining stays warm for a longer period and the limning it self doesn't breath unlike a polycotton lining. Often the wall behind a blockoput will also be mouldy.
    Mould doesn't always show as black. It goes black when its in the spores making thus making and spreading more mould spores to grow. Cold air for a period will cause the mould to do that.
    Mould when live and healthy will be seen as orange or brownish orange spots. i.e. colonies of mould.

Rarely do curtains go mouldy quickly and when you see a lots of black on the curtains that tells you that the curtains have had mould growing on them for quite some time. Temperatures have changed and the colonies have died off to spore form. You just didn't notice.

Thus it goes without saying the warm homes are not necessarily healthy ones. To achieve that would require a big dehumidifier to remove the high humidity. They work be in warm temperatures.

Crying windows are not the cause of curtains going mouldy but are a symptom of the high humidity in the room. That water in the air condenses on the cold surface of the window. If the sun warms it all up again then it will get absorbed again into the soft firnishings in the room.

A few days ago I had a call from a lady concerning her mouldy curtains. The house was a big villa in the Waikato. Her words; It was always a bit cold and my husband (big softy) complained so they decided to insulate the house, under floor and ceiling. The lady is now unhappy as her curtains have suddenly started to go mouldy. Was I surprised. Well no.

In 13 years of curtain cleaning I can say that rarely do we get mouldy curtains from old wooden houses until they get insulated or heated.
    Grubby yes. especially from around Wellington in the earlier days. Coal fires, ships, trucks and airplanes all help make that black dirt.( Better now trucks are coming up to the new standards.)

Let say I was a tenant and you decided to charge me for cleaning the mouldy curtains.

First question I would ask the adjudicator is; what age are the curtains? Like carpet they are a depreciated item with no value after I think 7 years.

Second question: when were they last washed,( dry cleaning does not remove the mould) and sanitized.

Three; Were the windows and window surrounds cleaned and sanitized before I rented the property.

Four; Can the landlord provide the receipts for both the purchase and the cleaning. ( Note here that even new curtains can be contaminated as they could have been through sewing rooms that may not necessarily be clean. Yes it happens even in NZ.)

If you haven't had them cleaned for 4 -5 years then I reckon its your cost as part of maintenance. (Same for blinds).
    Water marks due the curtains getting wet via blocked gutters and blocked door gutters is a maintenance issue.

Nothing I have said however negates a claim for cleaning if the tenant has dirtied the curtains with dirty hands, food, wine (that happens often), animals especially cat hair. Smelly curtains from cooking e.g. curry and or smoking is down to the tenant, but that will depend on your TA. All this presupposing that the curtains were clean prior to the tenancy commencing.

We have been in curtain cleaning now for over 13 years, have seen most things and seen some tenants ripped off over curtain cleaning.

Equally have seen plenty of landlords hard done by, often because the don't inspect or vet the incoming tenant and all the usual things.

Curtains are getting bigger, more sophisticated in materials, cost more and are not always made with material compatible with the NZ climate or UV. Most of the cheap stuff is just that.
    Thermal curtains are a waste of energy.
    If you must use a blockout then put in a dual track and have a single blockout with a n ordinary polycotton lined curtain behind it.

Want to keep a house warmer buy longer curtains with a good heavy poly cotton lining. ( see what Consumer had to say. Its interesting as the old lacey Net curtains are good value when it comes to keeping a room warm. They also give info on other curtains.)

Here is a couple of links where more info can be read.

Curtains;what-about-water-on-the-windows

Curtains;about-mouldy-rooms-and-mould/

Budgeting for window care. It is our experience that on average these days that you need to allow $200.00 per year for window covering maintenance. If you are replacing then probably more.

Good Curtains cost a lot so good care is worthwhile.

Thanks Viking, very interesting and informative. At one time I made my own curtains, lined eyelet style. Became a landlord by default (had to rent out the family home) and after the 2nd lot of tenants the curtains were ruined as the occupant of that room had never pulled them open or opened a window. The PM was almost about to put the place on that Rentals programme where they showed bad tenants.
    It wasn't so much the cost to replace them but the hard work I had put into making them. The house is in Whangarei and it is very humid up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Keys View Post
    I sent an email off to Otago Uni this morning asking for information on their next training day as I wanted to become a qualified WOF tester. No reply as yet.
    Wondering if you did ever get a reply.

So far not much take up of a voluntary wof in Wellington, so don't give up your day job yet LOL. Still only 3 months in though.

"Just four landlords had attempted to pass the WOF so far, rental WOF spokeswoman Jacqui Hastie said."

I suppose one of the 4 was the failure because of no porch light bulb and some window stays required - he got his fee refunded.

Note the heading of the article ....

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/992...operties-first

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post

So far not much take up of a voluntary wof in Wellington
    I suspect most of the 'take up' has been along the lines 'lets get the hell out of this business and into AirBnB'.

Anyone noticed how the homeless have disappeared since the last couple of weeks. gone with the wave of a wand and some fairy dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Anyone noticed how the homeless have disappeared since the last couple of weeks. gone with the wave of a wand and some fairy dust.
    They were never there in the first place, a figment of peoples imagination.

Thread Information